TP-Link Omada IDS/IPS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link Omada IDS/IPS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TP-Link Omada IDS/IPS
TP-Link Omada IDS/IPS
2021-03-11 21:48:07 - last edited 2021-03-12 00:52:38
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1

Hello to all,

I am thinking of upgrading my home network based on the Omada line with the following equipments:

- 1 x OC200;

- 1 x TL-ER7206;

- 1 x TL -SG2218;

- 3 x EAP245V3;

- 1 x EAP225-Outdoor.

I have alot of ioT devices conected to the network and also wired computers, smart TV's, etc.

I really like the Omada interface and TP-Link produtcs. But as always I look at other solutions too like Unifi. I saw that Unifi has features like IDS (Intrusion Detection System) and IPS(Intrusion Preventions System). I have not seen this on any TP-Link description. Is IDS/IPS possible with the Omada solution? Is IDS/IPS something very useful?

Thanks in advanced for all the help provided.

Best regards

Options
6 Reply
Re:TP-Link Omada IDS/IPS
2021-03-12 15:59:26 - last edited 2021-03-12 16:00:06

@rjduraocosta 

Hey

At the moment Omada doesnt offer IPS/IDS on its routers (to the best of my knowledge), i believe in the price point we are discussing this appears to be a ubiquiti only option. 

In terms of usefulness, that is a very wide question and only really you can decide.   I have used Ubiquiti UniFi stuff a few times and played with the Threat Management, yes I found it to be a nice feature and give some lovely feedback but honestly didnt find it of much use outside the "oh ive got IDS now" feeling inside.  

This is signature based and ony updates with firmware (this may have changed) I found it generated an awful lot of false positives, more than I personally found acceptable or manageable for most people.    Its a very basic IDS/IPS by standards but yeah its a nice feature to play with..  performance wise no impact noticed

The Geo Location stats, IP Rep and the Network Tools where a nice feature, again basic and limited but useful

In honesty, is it the best IDS/IPS system out there?   Not by a long shot and at the price point we are looking here that is no surprise, but as it comes for free its a nice thing to play with and learn from if you feel that way inclined.  

Personally however I don't see it as a selling point due to its rather basic functionality, but I do think Omada should offer something similar to keep up with the competition and this would be a welcome feature..

Hope that helps!

Edit... was looking for a review i read last year, found it.. This guy covers it much more elegantly than I have and I do tend to agree with his review..  Its basic, nice to have and offers a feel good factor, just not a massive selling point (imho)

https://set-inform.com/2020/02/23/i-dont-love-unifi-threat-management-and-neither-should-you/

Options
2021-03-12 18:57:30 - last edited 2021-03-12 22:19:50

@Philbert 

Hello,

Thank you very much for your precious input and the article, could not agree more with you and the article. It is not definitely a selling point.

Your post helped to maintain my decision to stick to my original plan and switch to Omada setup and gain central control over my network at the, in my opinion, right price point for a system like this. It will be definitely an increase in control and centralized management compared to my Asus router with 2 other branded routers configured as AP's and unmanaged switch.

Best regards and thanks again.

Options
2021-03-12 22:26:58

@rjduraocosta 

You are most welcome, glad to be help!

Options
2021-07-08 09:58:00

@Philbert 

"Edit... was looking for a review i read last year, found it.. This guy covers it much more elegantly than I have and I do tend to agree with his review..  Its basic, nice to have and offers a feel good factor, just not a massive selling point (imho)

https://set-inform.com/2020/02/23/i-dont-love-unifi-threat-management-and-neither-should-you/"

I disagree strongly with the author of that article.  The first several years of my career were spent analyzing IDS/IPS alerts.  The author asserts that IDS rules are "simplistic" and "worse than AV signatures from 30 years ago".  I'm not going to break down all of the author's arguments as that's not the point of this thread.  Sufficie to say that using that blog post as justification for why Omada doesn't need an IDS is silly. With all that said I do agree with what the author said to some extent. IDS/IPS are most useful when they can be properly configured and delicately managed (something Ubiquiti doesn't offer).

I would like to see IDS on Omada but a proper implementation of IDS/IPS would likely push the price point well beyond where it is now. 

Options
2021-07-08 10:51:00

@Crowfather 

I thought i would take the time to correct your error on my position... 

Sufficie to say that using that blog post as justification for why Omada doesn't need an IDS is silly.

I would ask you to re-read my post previous, I never once suggested Omada shouldn't have a IDS system and was actually for the idea as quoted below.

"Personally however I don't see it as a selling point due to its rather basic functionality, but I do think Omada should offer something similar to keep up with the competition and this would be a welcome feature.. "

I do agree with you that the cost of a proper solution would likely drive the price much higher than the targeted range, also if it was to cost considerably more would I choose Omada IDS?  likely not if honest.. Should Omada offer what Ubiq have in place, basic as it is?  YES 

Having installed Ubiquiti for 5+ years, one would be unwise to sell it as a threat management solution due to its inability to be, as you put it "properly configured and delicately managed" however as a feature to offer an advantage over Omada for an upsell.. yes it better to have than not have.

Options
2021-12-01 02:50:24

@rjduraocosta I am implementing the tp-link networks as well. I would love to see IDS and IPS in their business routers.

rjduraocosta wrote

Hello to all,

I am thinking of upgrading my home network based on the Omada line with the following equipments:

- 1 x OC200;

- 1 x TL-ER7206;

- 1 x TL -SG2218;

- 3 x EAP245V3;

- 1 x EAP225-Outdoor.

I have alot of ioT devices conected to the network and also wired computers, smart TV's, etc.

I really like the Omada interface and TP-Link produtcs. But as always I look at other solutions too like Unifi. I saw that Unifi has features like IDS (Intrusion Detection System) and IPS(Intrusion Preventions System). I have not seen this on any TP-Link description. Is IDS/IPS possible with the Omada solution? Is IDS/IPS something very useful?

Thanks in advanced for all the help provided.

Best regards

Options