Do I own these VIGI cameras or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-16 23:09:21 - last edited 2021-04-14 09:16:21
Model: VIGI C400P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I purchased 2 of these cameras recently. I have attached them to my NVR and they work very well, however.........

The devices drop off the VIGI Windows app and the Android app after being placed on network addresses that are not allowed to communicate with the internet. From what I can tell this is the only way to modify settings on the devices, with some settings available in the Android App and the rest in the Windows app. I joined them to, and carried out initial configuration through the Windows app. I changed the IP addresses to the restricted part of my network and the devices remained in the Windows app while the Android app would not communicate with them after this was done. The next day they were not in the Windows app any more as well. 

Do I own these devices or are they the property of TP-Link? I paid outright for these devices and if I decide to restrict their network access due to privacy concerns, why does TP-Link feel they have the power to make the administration of those devices restricted due to this fact?

Nice product but these cloud restrictions are ridiculous. As a matter of principal I will NEVER expose my cameras directly to a cloud based service such as this. 

I hope anyone considering purchasing these devices seriously considers their privacy when purchasing these cameras.

I was going to purchase a VIGI NVR but I know it will be useless unless it has full internet connectivity and I am not going to waste my money to find out. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Do I own these VIGI cameras or not?-Solution
2021-03-18 01:53:55 - last edited 2021-04-14 09:16:21

@AdamMcLeod 

The PC can access to the internet, right? And you have login to your TP-Link ID on Windows App?

I would suggest to log out your TP-Link ID on Windows App, then try to add the IPC again. It will work I think.

Haha
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Do I own these VIGI cameras or not?
2021-03-17 01:21:57

@AdamMcLeod As far as I know, if VIGI camera is placed on network addresses that are not allowed to communicate with the internet. Then they just act as local devices, and will not communicate with Windows app or Android app if you are out of home in the different network, that's reasonable.

As local devices, windows app and android app may also work if they are in the same network, as they have IP address 192.168.0.XX

Haha
Options
2021-03-17 03:49:30

@Haha 

Ofcourse if internet is restricted I can't view them remotely. I use Blue Iris for my NVR and handle remote viewing through that.

I activated and added the cameras to the Windows app while able to connect to the internet (on the same network). I changed IP addresses to the restricted area and the cameras remained in the Windows app and I was able to modify their settings. After 24 hours they disappeared from the Windows app. Discovery shows the cameras and the correct IP addresses. If I click on Add it fails because they aren't connected to the internet. I am still on the same network, not trying to do anything remotely except admin the cameras from the same network.

For me to admin these cameras I either have to remove the firewall rules and then add them to the Windows app again or change IP addresses to a different range with internet access. 

If these cameras can't talk to the cloud then you can't carry out basic admin duties on the cameras, such as renaming them, changing OSD, changing streaming rates. 

Also, the VIGI Windows app constantly crashes. 

Options
2021-03-17 07:26:03

@AdamMcLeod 

Then what's the IP address of VIGI Camera/ Windows PC/ VIGI App respectively?

"Discovery shows the cameras and the correct IP addresses. If I click on Add it fails because they aren't connected to the internet."

---Maybe you can share a screenshot of this.

Also, the VIGI Windows app constantly crashes.

-->Maybe you need to update the Windows App, the latest version is V1.0.11. I have Windows App also, it works great.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/vigi-security-manager/#VIGI_Security_Manager

Haha
Options
2021-03-18 00:27:49

@Haha 

Cameras and the client computer are on the same subnet. Direct communication is fine. VIGI App version 1.0.11

This is a corporate environment. I am a technician. This post is to warn others that may be thinking of deploying these cameras in a similar environment that they can't admin these cameras without giving them internet access, not to seek "help". Also to highlight the issue hoping that TP-Link do something about it.

Options
Re:Do I own these VIGI cameras or not?-Solution
2021-03-18 01:53:55 - last edited 2021-04-14 09:16:21

@AdamMcLeod 

The PC can access to the internet, right? And you have login to your TP-Link ID on Windows App?

I would suggest to log out your TP-Link ID on Windows App, then try to add the IPC again. It will work I think.

Haha
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-04-14 09:19:45

Dear @AdamMcLeod,

Haha wrote

Agree with what @Haha suggested, you may give it a try and report the result here.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1579

Replies: 6

Related Articles