EAP as repeater with no ethernet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-18 15:34:09
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.0 Build 20200914 Rel. 52854

Hello All,

I have a couple EAP110's that I am looking to use to boost coverage of an area already with some wifi coverage, but no ethernet availability. 

Basically, I have a 35 acre facility with a high-power wifi antenna at a high point broadcasting across open outdoor environment. This works well but there are some fringe areas that have poor LOS to the antenna and therefor poor connectivity in those areas. Due to the area being mostly a narrow triangle shape, I was hoping to put the EAP110's down the centerline of the current broadcast direction so they pick up a solid connection and then re-broadcast the same signal under the same network, a mesh effectively. I wasn't sure if the EAP110 could operate in that mode (no wired connection to network) and figured I would ask here first. 

Thanks,

Corey

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP as repeater with no ethernet connection
2021-03-19 23:25:59

@CEarl 

Hey

Yes indeed the EAP110 Outdoor can work in a mesh mode, provided One (the root) AP is connected via a cable.   If that is the case then the mesh nodes can indeed run wirelessly.

More information is available here

https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/2283/

Also worth noting that you will be required to have a SDN controller online to handle the mesh topology, this should be wired into the root node, version 4.2.11 of the SDN is recommended.  The controller can be Software if you have a spare PC, or alternatively buy a OC200 for around £50 / $70US

Options
2021-03-22 15:40:50

@Philbert 

Awesome, thanks for the help. 

I have two EAP110's running in a warehouse with an OC200 controller already so that part should be covered. I can get a "root" station as well and then hop from there on up over the air. 

Is there a practical limit to how many can be chained in low performance environments? This is some form updating, no video streaming, gaming or anything like that. 

Thanks again for the help,

Corey

Options
2021-03-22 16:46:25

@CEarl 

The physical limits for mesh are 4x Downlink APs over a max of 3 hops, cant see that being bad if the traffic is limited or low performance.   If you have 2x APs at moment, then they could be 2x roots and therefore you could have 8 downlink.    Examples below

/----  2    ------    4

ROOT   -----  1 

\----  3

ROOT   ------   1   ------ 2   ----  3

\---- 4

Personally however.. ive only ever gone 1 to 2 hops max and performance for video was grand if that helps!!  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 685

Replies: 3

Related Articles