EAP225 Outdoor access point - want to change password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-24 18:21:39 - last edited 2021-03-25 01:01:14
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, newbie here I'm afraid. I've just put up an EAP225 outdoor access point on a chimney on our farmhouse in order to get wifi a reasonable distance outside. I'm no IT expert but have somehow managed to get it up and running successfully (no thanks to the included instructions). The EAP is connected to my existing router via a CAT5 ethernet cable. I was expecting that the EAP would simply clone (if that's the right word?) the existing wifi network. However that hasn't happened and I have 2 additional wifi networks:

TP-link 2.4

adn

TP-link 2.4 5G

This isn't a major issue as I can cope with that. The network names are slightly different than what I've posted here obvs but one has 5G at the end and the other doesn't. Aside from the fact that I haven't a clue what the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz parts do in practice (I'm not currently bothered about acquainting myself with this at the moment or why there is a 5G option), what I want to do is change the network password for the EAP access point.

When I got it up and running the Omada app on my phone asked me to enter a password of my choosing for the EAP. I put one of my usual passwords in and bingo the wifi was working. Great I thought.

However, I want the wifi to be available for anyone working on my farm. But the issue is I don't want them knowing one of my usual passwords, so I want to change it to one that they will all easily remember.

I e-mailed TP Link and they responded with a link to a specific FAQ page. I've gone through the process and it seemed to change the password using the Omada app. What I did was I went into the settings menu for the EAP, then clicked on SSID, This took me to 2 tabs: 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. Clicking on the 2.4GHz brought up "modify SSID". This is where I modified the password and saved it.

However when I tell my phone to forget wifi networks and then scan again it doesn't appear to have changed the password when I click on the TP Link network.

Help please. Thanks in advance.

Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP225 Outdoor access point - want to change password
2021-03-25 08:43:06 - last edited 2021-03-25 08:43:32

Dear @Beasties,

The EAP is connected to my existing router via a CAT5 ethernet cable. I was expecting that the EAP would simply clone (if that's the right word?) the existing wifi network.

I'm afraid not. The EAP is a wireless access point, which transfers a wired network into a wireless network.

It has a unique SSID(wireless network name) by default, you can customize the SSID and password as whatever you like.

Aside from the fact that I haven't a clue what the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz parts do in practice (I'm not currently bothered about acquainting myself with this at the moment or why there is a 5G option), what I want to do is change the network password for the EAP access point.

The EAP225-Outdoor is a dual-band device, which broadcasts both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals so there are two TP-Link SSIDs showing up.

What I did was I went into the settings menu for the EAP, then clicked on SSID, This took me to 2 tabs: 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. Clicking on the 2.4GHz brought up "modify SSID". This is where I modified the password and saved it. However when I tell my phone to forget wifi networks and then scan again it doesn't appear to have changed the password when I click on the TP Link network.

It seems that you have changed the wireless password for 2.4GHz SSID only, please remember to click on the 5GHz tab and change the password for 5GHz SSID as well.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-03-25 10:43:00
Hi Fae, many thanks for your swift reply. I've looked where you've indicated and had another go at altering settings. It seems that when I altered the SSID passwords I clicked save and came back out a level but there was another save button at the top of the screen which I hadn't clicked previously. It seems you have to save twice to make the changes which seems a bit of overkill as I've just demonstrated. Not your fault though so thanks for your help as it's worked. Re the dual band aspect, I'm still a little confused. I suppose it's the naming that is causing my confusion. When I'm in the Omada app I'm presented with one TP Link EAP choice. When I click on it it is named differently to the 2 names that appear in my wifi connection list on my phone. Not a problem, I can cope with that. However whenI click on the EAP I've indicated I get 2 tabs, both of which are called TP Link 2.4GHz, even though one is 2.4GHz and the other is 5GHz. This is where I'm getting confused. Why do they both have 2.4GHz in their name? As I understand it (and I don't), one wifi network is for 2.4GHz and the other wifi network is for 5GHz, am I correct? Or are there essentially four networks here rather than two? Do you see why I'm confused? Then the next question is why would I choose one network rather than the other? Again, thanks for any help in advance.
Options
2021-03-25 12:06:14

Dear @Beasties,

Hi Fae, many thanks for your swift reply. I've looked where you've indicated and had another go at altering settings. It seems that when I altered the SSID passwords I clicked save and came back out a level but there was another save button at the top of the screen which I hadn't clicked previously. It seems you have to save twice to make the changes which seems a bit of overkill as I've just demonstrated. Not your fault though so thanks for your help as it's worked. 

Thank you for your valued feedback. It really helps us to understand how the problem occurred, I've written this down for future optimization of the Omada App.

Re the dual band aspect, I'm still a little confused. I suppose it's the naming that is causing my confusion. When I'm in the Omada app I'm presented with one TP Link EAP choice. When I click on it it is named differently to the 2 names that appear in my wifi connection list on my phone. Not a problem, I can cope with that. However whenI click on the EAP I've indicated I get 2 tabs, both of which are called TP Link 2.4GHz, even though one is 2.4GHz and the other is 5GHz. This is where I'm getting confused. Why do they both have 2.4GHz in their name? As I understand it (and I don't), one wifi network is for 2.4GHz and the other wifi network is for 5GHz, am I correct? 

The EAP225-Outdoor broadcasts two different SSIDs by default settings, one is on 2.4GHz band, the other is on 5GHz band.
You can take the 2.4GHz band & 5GHz band as two different roads, the SSID is a vehicle running on the roads for understanding.

When you configure the wireless settings initially, see the screenshot below, if you click Copy to 5GHz network, then the 5GHz network name and password will be the same as that you customized on 2.4GHz. So did you set the 2.4GHz network name as TP Link 2.4GHz and selected copy?

In addition, the Omada EAP supports multiple SSIDs (up to 8), so you can also add more SSIDs on 2.4GHz band & 5GHz band based on your need, see the picture below, from SSID menu, you can check how many SSIDs are configured under 2.4GHz tab and 5GHz tab respectively. If you want to add more SSIDs, click the "+" icon at the right bottom corner to do that.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-03-25 13:54:19

@Fae

Hi Fae, again thanks for your speedy help. I have no idea if I clicked on the copy button during setup, so I can't enlighten you there. I do know how to alter the names now though so I have what I need thanks.

I can't say I fully understand the ins and outs as you've described but safe to say I won't be adding additional SSIDs. What I have is sufficient phew.

Sorry but one more question, why would I choose the 2.4 or 5 channel? Does one have greater distance reached? Is there a speed difference? Or is it something to do with possible interfernce?

Many thanks

Tom

Options
2021-03-26 01:16:09

Dear @Beasties,

Sorry but one more question, why would I choose the 2.4 or 5 channel? Does one have greater distance reached? Is there a speed difference? Or is it something to do with possible interfernce?

Welcome. The FAQ below may answer your question:

The differences between 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless

Options
2021-03-26 17:10:57

@Fae 

Sorry, just one more problem Fae.

The FAQ link you posted took me to a page where it states that the 2.4 GHz band will reach further than the 5 GHz band. However, on the TP Link website if you search for EAP225 Outdoor (which is the model I have) the webpage it takes you to has all the specs on it and a diagram stating that 2.4 GHz goes 200m+ and 5 GHz goes 300m+.

This is clearly contradictory. Which is correct? In which case the TP Link website needs looking at because it contradicts itself.

Many thanks

Tom

Options
2021-03-30 03:02:15 - last edited 2021-03-30 03:05:19

Dear @Beasties,

Beasties wrote

The FAQ link you posted took me to a page where it states that the 2.4 GHz band will reach further than the 5 GHz band. However, on the TP Link website if you search for EAP225 Outdoor (which is the model I have) the webpage it takes you to has all the specs on it and a diagram stating that 2.4 GHz goes 200m+ and 5 GHz goes 300m+.

This is clearly contradictory. Which is correct? In which case the TP Link website needs looking at because it contradicts itself.

Sorry for the confusion. The FAQ may not state as accurate as enough, I'll explain this part.

The 2.4 GHz band will reach further than the 5 GHz band, it's stated based on the condition that when both bands operate in the same specification such as antenna gain and transmit power. However, when they are working in different antenna gains and transmit power, it's possible that the 5GHz band reaches further than the 2.4GHz band.

For EAP225-Outdoor, both the antenna gain and transmit power on the 5GHz band are larger than those on the 2.4GHz band, which makes the 5GHz perform better than 2.4GHz in an open area, so it's stated that 2.4 GHz goes 200m+ while 5 GHz goes 300m+.

In summary, both are correct but just stated in different conditions.

BTW, the value 200m/300m+ is only for reference, the actual transmission range depends on your local outdoor environment, obstacles and the receiving device, etc.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2246

Replies: 7

Related Articles