Copying SSID to EAP 225 from Powerline Adaptor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-28 22:19:22 - last edited 2021-03-31 03:45:51
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

My home network is run around the house via the Powerline adaptors that have served me well over the years :-)

I am now looking to extend coverage into the garden... have just brought the EAP225-Outdoor.

Can i copy the SSID from my internet router / powerline adaptors to the EAP225-outdoor, so it can be seamless when moving in and out of the house 

Cheers

dvdmav

Options
2 Reply
Re:Copying SSID to EAP 225 from Powerline Adaptor
2021-04-01 12:25:34

@dvdmav 

Hey

You can indeed copy the same configuration from your homeplugs and apply it to your EAP225, all you will need to set is the     SSID      Password    and     Security Type (WPA2 most likely).    You will need to manually copy / setup the EAP225 as there is no way to automatically move the config from the homeplugs to it

so it can be seamless when moving in and out of the house 

In networking terms seamless means it will automatically hand over from A to B without disconnecting the device, NO is the answer in your case.    However if you mean will it reconnect again automatically when you are outside the house?   likely but this wont be clean / seamless

When you move out of range of the Powerline, it will disconnect and reconnect to the EAP225, but this wont be seamless.  If you are on a teams meeting or zoom your connection will drop for the time it takes to reconnect from one to the other.   Client devices are bad at this and tend to hold onto the current AP (powerline) until its signal is dead, only then will it look for a replacement (dropping your connection while it does this).  Once it lost connection to A totally it will start looking for any SSID it has a password for, it will see B advertising and start connecting to that, the process will take around 5-10 seconds at a guess

To have "seamless" roaming you require 2x or more EAP225 and a controller to handle the handover, something like the OC200 which can tell the device to move to B without dropping and re-scanning, overall the move takes a few milliseconds.   The powerline adaptors dont support seamless roaming, this is only a option on the Omada Business grade hardware.

Hope that helps

Options
Re:Copying SSID to EAP 225 from Powerline Adaptor
2021-11-19 12:50:39

@Philbert 

Hi

I have a controller and want to use the same SSD on EAP225 that is located else where. How do I use the same SSD as router on EAP and connect without loosing connection?

Looking to understand how I set this up on Omada controller?

thanks for your help

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 512

Replies: 2

Related Articles