Some clients and dhcp lease info from tl-r605 missing in omada controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-29 18:38:59
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 4.2.11

I can't seem to find a list of DHCP leases when using omada controller running on linux with a TL-R605.

1. If i navigate to /login#clients, I see a list of some of the clients. Reload, I see a list of some clients. Reload again... etc. Each time, there's a different number of clients listed. Some are always listed. some are sometimes listed. some are never listed. This is the only dhcp server on the network, and my devices are definitely getting leases from the R605 in the right IP range - but never show up on the Omada controller clients list.
  2. There's an 'uptime' listed. I haven't figured out what this number means, since i reload and it stays the same. Perhaps this is information that's being scraped by the omada controller software from the R605; if so, what's the default update interval and how do i force it to refresh the data? (observation seems to be about 10 minutes between updates)
  3. There's no details on DHCP leases. I don't know what leases are out or when they're expiring.

So, if i want to attach a headless device on the network, it seems I need to plug it in, wait 10 minutes, refreshing the clients list, hoping to see it listed - if it ever shows up in that list. This wouldn't be an issue if the TL-R605 supported any kind of local DNS (i couldn't find it, please correct me if i'm wrong). I had though, no big deal - i can just spin up a DNS server... but with no apparent way to get a list of clients and their IP addresses, i'd be stuck with static IP addresses and populating the list manually... 

Please let me know if I've missed something. 

Options
12 Reply
Re:Some clients and dhcp lease info from tl-r605 missing in omada controller
2021-04-01 00:59:57

Dear @joefitz,

joefitz wrote

I can't seem to find a list of DHCP leases when using omada controller running on linux with a TL-R605.

The Omada Controller V4 doesn't support showing DHCP leases info, it will be added in the subsequent version updates.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-04-02 16:42:56

@Fae I can accept that some features are not yet integrated into the omada controller view, but this is a pretty fundamental feature for managing a network.

I could even handle not having lease start and end times, if omada controller had an accurate list of clients, but it doesn't. Is that something that might be added in subsequent version updates?

As much as I appreciate the attempt to simplify the network management, it's not possible to manage a network when you can't see an accurate list of clients.

I'm not sure I have any option but to return the router (unsuitable for its intended purpose) and SDN-compatible access points (that provide no improvement other than SDN compatibility over my older EAPs)

-joe

Options
2021-04-02 17:01:25
I have 4 Omada AP's and 3 Omada Switches and the clients do seem to show up fine. Lots of other strange things happen but the Client list is generally OK. I have a couple of clients that connect send and disconnect as they are battery powered and these never show up on the network as having ever connected, but I know they do because I receive the emails from them. They only connect for about 5 seconds every 12 hours but would have expected them to show in the log as having connected. My big disappointment is the TL-R605 doesn't support the multiple static IP's (I have 4 Static IP's from my ISP) but the TL-R605 can't use them - so I'm stuck with my 5/6 year old Draytek router at present
Options
2021-04-02 17:10:49

@Eskdale First think i tested was PPPoE performance - and the r605 was able to hit capacity at over 900mbps without breaking a sweat. I had high hopes for it.

I have a bunch of headless embedded devices - some show up, some don't. Some show up, for a moment, then disappear next time. It takes about 10 minutes for them to show up in the client list if they ever do. The standard procedure - connect device, look for lease, access via IP - is fundamentally broken with this router.

I was switching away from a pfsense box that was far too unstable for me, but I LOVED having a DNS server that registered DHCP leases by hostname... so i never even needed to look at the dhcp clients list - but the R605 doesn't have any DNS features AFAICT, and I can't run a separate DNS server without a client list, which it also doesn't support. If i'm going to run a separate DHCP + DNS server, then I'm way outside of the Omada SDN ecosystem and there's no reason to stick iwth the r605...

Options
2021-04-09 10:27:54

I have the same issue.

When I bought the TL-R605 I first logged on to its own Web interface.

There I could change LOTS of settings. This also included setting up a list of predefined fixed DHCP addresses for devices on the network.

I need this because there are a lot of home automation devices in my network that need to be on a certain IP address.

I entered all the MAC / IP addresses there and this all worked fine. I then connected it to my actual network (replacing my old router) ... and it still worked fine.

Then I adopted it with my Omada Controller.

This erased all settings.

In the Omada Controller there is no way to predefine fixed DHCP leases.

The only way is to first connect the client device to the network, then wait for it to show up in the Omada Controller (often without a recognizable name) and then setting its fixed IP in the device's properties.

So unfortunately I cannot set up predefined DHCP leases for devices that are currently not online :(

Secondly it does not resolve DNS names for the devices it has given out IP addresses to.

For instance my NAS has always been available in my browser by just typing its hostname, but now I need to type its IP address.

A lot of applications find this difficult.

I think its very sad that when adopting a device by the Omada Controller a lot of its functionality / settings become unavailable.

Options
2021-04-10 06:28:03

@da_EpS 

DHCP Fixed IP table and better DNS/Hostname resolving would be greatly apprecieate.

Also sometimes it does not show me all connected clients - I can ping them, ... but I am not able to see them in client list page.

I would also be glad if controller stores renamed client list and I do not have to rename them "every second day".

Linux Controller 4.2.11

tl-r605 FW 1.0.1 (2021-03-03)

Options
2021-06-02 05:16:10

@joefitz 

As of June 2021, the OMADA Controller OC200 does not have any update, to see a DHCP table or place Fixed IPs ... It is a headache if it is used in automation in this way, we have to wait for them to get some update that of this function, hoping that the Firmware Update does not ask you to reset the entire network.

Options
2021-07-10 22:11:14 - last edited 2021-07-10 22:12:03

I bought two TP Link access points EAP245 & EAP225 and installed Omada software controller.

Really liked how it all works so I was determined to buy the OC200 and TL-R605 router to unify the whole environment.

But after checking the web and seeing all that you guys wrote, I was honestly surprised because this was supposed to be business level equipment.

I will be sticking to my old Asus router until they fix these basic issues.

Options
2022-01-30 04:24:29

@Fae 

Is this int the 5.X Omada release. If it is I can't find it.

Options
2022-01-30 06:39:03

@JohnyBitz 

In omada V5 is DHCP table. Settings -> Services -> DHCP reservation

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3455

Replies: 12