Is it possible to connect a WIFI extender to an Access Point?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-01 20:07:19 - last edited 2021-04-05 07:23:38
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'd like to know if I can connect WIFI extender to AP (NOT to router).

Currently I am using an AP (model EAP225-outdoor) connected to router (Let's say this is main office 1)

The new place (Office 2) where I want to set up an WIFI extender is 3 floors below the main office 1.

Only AP's signal from Office 1 marginally reaches the corner of the Office 2.

The signal is OK at that corner only, but does not go into the whole area of Office 2.

Two offices cannot be connected by LAN line.

Mesh network seems to be to an over-work for my SOHO office size. 

If an extender can bridge two places (AP at Office 1 & the corner of Office 2), it would be perfectly cost efficient.

The diagram is as attached.

Could I have some advice?

Thank you.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Is it possible to connect a WIFI extender to an Access Point?-Solution
2021-04-02 11:44:07 - last edited 2021-04-05 07:23:38

@TJLee 

Hey

Based on what you have described then YEAH there is no reason why you couldn't use an extender with the EAP225 Outdoor. 

In guessing the EAP225 Outdoor is in standalone mode?  (No Controller)     -   If you have a controller (OC200 for example) then a second EAP225 with mesh would be the more elegant solution, but as you say if you are just after cheap and quick then repeater will work.

Other option for you could be a cheap home grade AP, something like the TL-WA1201 v2    -  Stick it in range extender mode and you have both a wireless repeater, and and few LAN ports for desktops / Printers etc.   Generally I find that APs like that tend to have a better range vs extenders alone

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-04-04 18:24:12 - last edited 2021-04-05 07:23:42

@TJLee 

Hey

If you want to use VLANs then yes you will need to buy a switch of some description...  However NO its not required

If you just want basic mesh WiFi all you need is the OC200 for management, and another EAP225 Outdoors

1. Reset and disconnect your current EAP225

2. Connect the OC200 to one of your Router LAN ports and go to its IP address, run through setup and configure the Wirelesss setting on controller.   Make sure controller is running SDN version 4.2.x (4.2.11 is latest)

Under settings enable MESH, Band Steering, Dual Roaming, Fast roaming etc..

3. Connect you current EAP225 to the Router and power up, on the OC200 under DEVICES adopy the EAP225 into management

4. Power on new EAP225 and adopt via mesh (no lan cable required), you will see a small wifi symbol near its serial / device name

5.  Let the devices configure from the OC200 automatically, 2 mins later your done

Good to go

Just ensure the firmware for both EAPs are up to date.  You should be fine with that.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
2021-04-02 11:44:07 - last edited 2021-04-05 07:23:38

@TJLee 

Hey

Based on what you have described then YEAH there is no reason why you couldn't use an extender with the EAP225 Outdoor. 

In guessing the EAP225 Outdoor is in standalone mode?  (No Controller)     -   If you have a controller (OC200 for example) then a second EAP225 with mesh would be the more elegant solution, but as you say if you are just after cheap and quick then repeater will work.

Other option for you could be a cheap home grade AP, something like the TL-WA1201 v2    -  Stick it in range extender mode and you have both a wireless repeater, and and few LAN ports for desktops / Printers etc.   Generally I find that APs like that tend to have a better range vs extenders alone

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Is it possible to connect a WIFI extender to an Access Point?
2021-04-04 17:56:36

@Philbert 

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, the EAP225 Outdoor is in standalone mode without controller.

Meanwhile, for a quick check-up, I tried out with a cheap small extender. (TL-WA855RE)

However, the signal quality and range are somehow far below my expectation. (It is what you pointed out on 'extender vs AP'.)

So, I am going to try out the 'elegant' solution with OC200 + another EAP225-outdoor.

Could I know the equipments' diagram - which one I should purchase and connect them?

(Please kindly understand that I do not know much technical things about network.)

Currently my main router at Office 1 is Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000, which receives internet from provider.

One EAP225-outdoor is wired from this router. Another EAP225 will be used at Office 2.

From TP-Link site, I see the following diagram suggestion for mesh.

I'd like to know :

(a) In addition to OC200 controller, do I need to purchase a switch as well? ; OR

(b) Switch is not required, and the controller can be connected to the existing router by chance?

Options
2021-04-04 18:24:12 - last edited 2021-04-05 07:23:42

@TJLee 

Hey

If you want to use VLANs then yes you will need to buy a switch of some description...  However NO its not required

If you just want basic mesh WiFi all you need is the OC200 for management, and another EAP225 Outdoors

1. Reset and disconnect your current EAP225

2. Connect the OC200 to one of your Router LAN ports and go to its IP address, run through setup and configure the Wirelesss setting on controller.   Make sure controller is running SDN version 4.2.x (4.2.11 is latest)

Under settings enable MESH, Band Steering, Dual Roaming, Fast roaming etc..

3. Connect you current EAP225 to the Router and power up, on the OC200 under DEVICES adopy the EAP225 into management

4. Power on new EAP225 and adopt via mesh (no lan cable required), you will see a small wifi symbol near its serial / device name

5.  Let the devices configure from the OC200 automatically, 2 mins later your done

Good to go

Just ensure the firmware for both EAPs are up to date.  You should be fine with that.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-04-04 19:27:25
Really appreciate your kind and quick advice. I will try it out. *Thumbs up*
Options
2021-04-05 07:13:53

@Philbert 

Appreciating your advice, I'd like to update the progress which is 'elegant' as you described. :)

I decided to go with the the switch, and the equipments are set up physically as below.

Two EAPs are just adopted through OC200 controller. All the things went so smoothly, without any trouble. 

And it's time to check it up by detaching 2nd AP and move it to the spot (Office 2). 

Options
2021-04-05 09:45:19 - last edited 2021-04-05 09:50:23

@TJLee 

Morning!

Just seen your update and looks like you are on the way, however a few things jump at me straight away that you might need to tweak slightly.

1.  The firmware on your EAP225s is v1.2 which is designed for SDN version 4.1.5 or later (see below), looking at your screenshot you are running SDN version 3 on that controller so you will need to update the controller to get fully functional with mesh.   HIGHLY recommend you do this.   Its a manual download and update from within the controller as its a huge update, if you have this configured as you feel appropiately, do a backup and restore once upgraded; the upgrade to v4 factory resets the device.

Link to Update on OC200, i would recommend going to 4.2.11    -    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/oc200/#Firmware

2. The 2x EAPs are adopted via LAN connection, ideally only one via LAN and 2nd via wireless (mesh) as the downstream node. otherwise its going to look for a LAN connection all the time.   Once upgraded to v4 SDN re-adopt the first AP as you have, 2nd (the remote one) power it up and after a few mins you should be able to adopt wirelessly with no cable, this creates the mesh.   You will see once its adopted mesh it has a small wifi symbol near the CONNECTED status (sorry i dont have a screenie).  Just ensure you have the setting i posted yesterday enabled (mesh, fallover, etc etc) to make this work.  

3. There is a firmware update to the EAP225 (version 1.5) out now, but you can do this via the controller once ready.  Its the last and smallest task, just bug fixes really.

As always any hassle just drop an update and more than happy to help!

Options
2021-04-05 17:49:16

@Philbert 

Your advice was really like a prophet's one! Legit.

At my first try, I'v got frustrated as you predicted. Of course, it was because 2nd EAP was on the same hierarchy with the 1st EAP without being adopted wirelessly, SDN was not updated to 4ish, and consequently Mesh was not set up.

Following your guide, all are well set! WIFI can be used at Office 2 through the downstream node, at satisfactory speed (download at 25Mbps, and upload at 60Mbps, the similar speed as the main router at Office 1) 

Next exploration would be to boost up the signal inside the Office 2, as there are some dead zone.

I am going to try out:

(a) LAN connecting between 2nd EAP to a normal router inside; or

(b) using another Omada AP (As it is indoor, I hope there would be wider choice. Also elegant again)

In case there is any other community member's similar need, I leave a summary diagram and a photo taken from the corner of Office 2 looking up to Office 1. And screenshots of updated controller & adopting 2nd EAP wireless.

Thank you again, Philbert. 

Also, I am very satisfied with TP-Link's Omada mesh system. It might not be just for a huge networking, but is beautifully fit for SOHO as well.

Options
2021-04-05 21:05:00 - last edited 2021-04-05 21:13:03

@TJLee 

Hey!   Thanks for the feedback, been called a few things over the years but Prophet is a new one lol.  Ill take it cheers!! 

No honestly glad it worked out for you, seems to be working as you wanted which is the main thing.    In relation to the black spots, you can indeed mesh another 225 (indoor version) with the 2nd 225 outdoor node.  Might sort out your issue and shouldnt affect the mesh in any way, they can go 3 deep in terms of nodes.

The "non elegant" option is of course to just add a repeater, but the 225 indoors is ~ £60 / $70 US so its cheap enough and should be the job.  Just mesh it the same way as the 2nd node.  Yeah totally agree its super for SOHO use, even use it in my own home, more so since Ubiquiti has got so damned expensive!    Honestly cant fault the Omada SDN for price vs capability..

You likely notice a massive difference in the v4 SDN upgrade, it really is a step in the right direction! 

But honestly glad its worked out well for you, its addictive and satisfying to play with this stuff.   I get the feeling you are wanting to do this right, which is always the best option

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2221

Replies: 8