setting up 3 EAPs as 1 network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-06 14:47:19 - last edited 2021-04-07 01:01:53
Model: EAP115  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0

Hi, Ive just installed 3 x 115s  in my house and am now trying to figure out how to get them to work seamlessly as one network? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:setting up 3 EAPs as 1 network
2021-04-07 08:46:59 - last edited 2021-04-07 08:47:33

@RE1976 

Hey

This is an nice easy one to answer, the only way you can set these up to "seamlessly" work as one network is to introduce a controller to manage the devices.

This can be either an OC200 hardware controller, or a Software based controller if you have a free PC / Server to run it on.  Note this would need to be powered on 24/7  -  Also SDN v4.2.11 is recommended, if you controller is running / comes with v3.x then recommend update to v4

Once you have the controller, setup the Wireless Network as you desire via the controller, enable ROAMING etc as shown below in settings.  Then finally adopt your EAP115s into management by the controller

This will automatically configure them and everything should start working for you.   With roaming enabled you will be able to move from AP to AP without disconnecting, which I am guessing is your origional requirements

Options
2021-04-09 06:51:02

@Philbert 

Sir,

Thank you. I've somehow managed to configure them by changing the SSID name with assistance from Tech support however I do think that for ease I am going to purchase a controller and go down that route.

Thanks again.

Philbert wrote

@RE1976 

Hey

This is an nice easy one to answer, the only way you can set these up to "seamlessly" work as one network is to introduce a controller to manage the devices.

This can be either an OC200 hardware controller, or a Software based controller if you have a free PC / Server to run it on.  Note this would need to be powered on 24/7  -  Also SDN v4.2.11 is recommended, if you controller is running / comes with v3.x then recommend update to v4

Once you have the controller, setup the Wireless Network as you desire via the controller, enable ROAMING etc as shown below in settings.  Then finally adopt your EAP115s into management by the controller

This will automatically configure them and everything should start working for you.   With roaming enabled you will be able to move from AP to AP without disconnecting, which I am guessing is your origional requirements

Options
2021-04-09 08:14:21

@RE1976 

Ah yeah that will work for you, but it wont be seamless

The problem you will likely have is the clients are rubbish at roaming if not instructed.   A device will hold onto its current AP until the signal is totally dead, then disconnect and scan for a few seconds before reconnecting to another AP at random.   Sadly during this time the network connection is down / lost, so its far from seamless.

The OC200 controller is really cheap for what it does and would make your life a lot easier! 

Any queries dont be afraid to ask

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 490

Replies: 3

Related Articles