HELP Please-Updated to V4.2.11 OCN and V5.0.1 EAP245 and have lost full internet functionality

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HELP Please-Updated to V4.2.11 OCN and V5.0.1 EAP245 and have lost full internet functionality

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-11 21:01:13 - last edited 2021-04-12 21:45:35
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.1

I set up a home network: Vodafone ISP Router to Netgear GS108PEv3 switch with OCN200 and two EAP245 V3 for my home network.  The switch also has a Humax digital freeview box connected (FVP5000T). I also used one of the RJ45 ports from an EAP245 to connect a Sony smart TV. The network was working fine for 18 months when it started showing problems with intermittent wifi drop out.  This was manageable until it started to affect my smart heating hub (Drayton Wiser Hub-R).

I was advised by Drayton to update the home network and ensure the EAP linked to the Hub-R was providing a dedicated SSID on 2.4GHz ideally on channel 1, 6 or 11.  I'm not a network engineer so didn't think twice about updating the software, and duly did so taking a back-up before I did.  Now my network controller (using the new online GUI) cannot see my switch or gateway. A quick check says that because the Netgear and Vodafone kit isn't compatible, but it shouldn't prevent it working, I just wont be able to control them (not an issue for me), however I have now lost the following functionality and cannot figure out why:

1.  Wired connection to TV no longer has internet service. If I try to connect the TV to the wifi, it connects to the SSID, but fails to get internet too.

2.  Wired connection to Humax FVP5000T no longer has internet.

3.  Wiser Hub-r works, but still drops out intermittently, despite a dedicated SSID on channel 11 using 2.4GHz and only being 4m away from EAP245.

4.  Amazon firestick HD is no longer able to connect to the internet, but can connect to the SSID LAN. 

5.  Any device using the wifi network can no longer use streaming sites such as Amazon Prime video or BBC iPlayer - for example Prime video connects but on trying to stream anything states "Internet Connection Error - your devices internet isn't working...", yet the device is connected and it will support Chrome, Safari, etc and let me connect to the OCN controller and Omada cloud.

6.  I can no longer access the vodafone router directly via IP address, or using the vodafone broadband app.

7.  When trying to connect some devices I have an error message saying they "Hotspot login cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred." I have no idea what that means.

When I run a ping test, I get a return from the router (0.69ms to 1.2ms), the OCN200 (0.56ms to 0.98ms) but I don't get anything when I ping the switch (should I?). If i try to access the router or switch directly via entering their IP into a web browser, it fails stating there is no internet connection.

I am still able to use my legacy SSIDs (but did try setting up a new one and no change) and they work for most things.  I also have a couple of Meross smart switches and they all work and can be accessed via the Meross cloud. So I definitely have an active net and internet, it's just got some unworkable glitches.

I can only assume that I have done something wrong, but cannot find any guidance on the settings required to use the new firmware supported Omada SDN. Can anyone offer any advice to correct this issue, or how to revert the EAP and OCN back to previous firmware that supported my network, albeit with some glitches.

Sorry for the long post, help would be appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HELP Please-Updated to V4.2.11 OCN and V5.0.1 EAP245 and have lost full internet functionality-Solution
2021-04-12 21:45:10 - last edited 2021-04-12 21:45:35
@Philbert, Thanks for all your help and suggested breakdown for fault finding. I've traced the fault back to the Vodafone ISP router which had somehow defaulted to a captive IP requiring additional authentication, but without a means of getting into the router to change settings or disable (or even enter he authorisation codes!). After a few hours explaining that I wanted a new IP set up for the router, vodafone did that and now everything works as it did before. My only wonder is what caused the issue and whether it was related to the firmware update, or simply coincidental. I'm not sure I could prove either way. Apparently the issue is caused by the ISP router being set-up as a Captive Hotspot, though I;ve never heard of one and wouldn't have a clue how to set it up as that. So in case it's any use to anyone else, if you have a similar issue which includes any new Wifi equipment returning an error stating there is a captive hotspot, get the ISP provider to reset the IP for the router, or ask a network expert for help ;-)
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:HELP Please-Updated to V4.2.11 OCN and V5.0.1 EAP245 and have lost full internet functionality
2021-04-12 15:57:29

@TriHardNovice 

Hey

This has me slightly confused as I cant see how updating the OC200 would have this effect, perhaps on the WiFi but deffinately not on an un-managed switch

What version of SDN did you have before the upgrade?  version 3?

Also did you try disconnecting hte OC200 and seeing if the LAN devices work then?   As you dont have a SDN managed switch it shouldnt affect the LAN devices at all, makes me think the upgrade is just a red herring.

Options
Re:HELP Please-Updated to V4.2.11 OCN and V5.0.1 EAP245 and have lost full internet functionality
2021-04-12 16:01:25
It was v3 before and everything worked fine, I think I've made a mistake on conducting the update or configuration, but I can't figure out where. I can no longer interrogate the switch or router, as I get a multiple redirection error and I notice on the logs I now have over 300 WAP authentication timeout/failures. Alas, I am not a network engineer, hence the request for help.
Options
2021-04-12 16:09:10

@TriHardNovice 

Hey

OK so if I was you, the first thing i would do is rule out the Upgrade.   

1. Disconnect the OC200 from the switch and turn off the APs.   Leave only the Router and Switch in place, see if this works on cabled devices (internet etc)

2. If so Reconnect the OC200 on it own and see what happens - Again using wired LAN devices only  -  No WiFi

3. Connect AP to switch, disconnect OC200 and repeat..  Wired LAN only.     Yes WiFi wont work, but ignore!

We need to find out if the OC200 and / or the APs are causing this..   disconnecting them is the only way

Totally ignore the WiFi for the moment, concentrate on how this works using LAN cable as the OC200 shouldnt be affecting the LAN at all.

You mentioned earlier it wasn't detecting your switch or gateway, are you referring to below?   If so just ignore it, that wont appear / work unless you have an Omada switch and gateway, other vendors are not supported

Tell us how you get on! :)

Options
2021-04-12 17:48:15

@Philbert,

Thank you for the guidance.  So I've done the above and can report the following:

1. OC200 and EAPs offline. Cat7 into switch allows full function of macbook, inc access to Prime video & iPlayer. However when attempting to use Vodafone Router's own wifi (switchable - normally this is set to off on my net) I get an error message: "Error Opening Page: Hotspot login cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred." I never had this issue prior to updating the OC or EAPs so it may be: a red herring / caused by the update / an issue with vodafone router.

2.  Connected OC200 and no change to 1. above.

3. Conncected EAP with OC200 offline, no change to wired internet conncetion. Interestingly took a look at wifi with this config and one SSID missing and on attemtping to connect to an other, it gave same error message as at 1..

4. On connecting Humax via wired cat7 to switch it connects to internet, but internet services are not available - eg "on demand unavailble at this time". I don't have any other wired devices in proximity to switch/router to try connecting.

5. On all configurations I am still unable to interogate my router via its IP address and get the error essage: "vodafone.broadband redirects you too many times." Possible red herring, or the fault lies with vodafone router, but unsure how why. As per usual, vodafone support are in no way useful/helpful.

Any thoughts are very welcome.

Options
Re:HELP Please-Updated to V4.2.11 OCN and V5.0.1 EAP245 and have lost full internet functionality-Solution
2021-04-12 21:45:10 - last edited 2021-04-12 21:45:35
@Philbert, Thanks for all your help and suggested breakdown for fault finding. I've traced the fault back to the Vodafone ISP router which had somehow defaulted to a captive IP requiring additional authentication, but without a means of getting into the router to change settings or disable (or even enter he authorisation codes!). After a few hours explaining that I wanted a new IP set up for the router, vodafone did that and now everything works as it did before. My only wonder is what caused the issue and whether it was related to the firmware update, or simply coincidental. I'm not sure I could prove either way. Apparently the issue is caused by the ISP router being set-up as a Captive Hotspot, though I;ve never heard of one and wouldn't have a clue how to set it up as that. So in case it's any use to anyone else, if you have a similar issue which includes any new Wifi equipment returning an error stating there is a captive hotspot, get the ISP provider to reset the IP for the router, or ask a network expert for help ;-)
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-04-12 21:48:49

@TriHardNovice 

Timing!  I was just replying to your last message! :)

Glad you got sorted ok, that did sound to me like something was wrong with your vodafone router as wired should not have been affected at all.  That symptom of multiple redirects is usually a sign of guest WiFi

Thanks for the feedback

Philbert

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 870

Replies: 6

Related Articles