Error getting time from NTP server when using satellite internet!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-13 16:38:29 - last edited 2021-04-14 02:32:16
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: EAP225-Outdoor (US) _V1_5.0.0 Build 20200918
I'm getting an error when trying to update the time using an ntp server via a satellite connection,
does anyone have any information regarding this type of situation? On other equipment the time is updated normally.
When an internet connection is conventional with low latency, the time is usually obtained in EAP-225outdoor v1.
I need the watch to update automatically to create time-based wifi rules.
Options
7 Reply
Re: Error getting time from NTP server when using satellite internet!
2021-04-19 09:13:23

Dear @superuserbr,

superuserbr wrote

I'm getting an error when trying to update the time using an ntp server via a satellite connection,

What's the error message when you try to update the time using an NTP server, please? Some screenshots are recommended.

When an internet connection is conventional with low latency, the time is usually obtained in EAP-225outdoor v1.

I need the watch to update automatically to create time-based wifi rules.

Is your EAP working in Standalone mode(no Controller managed)?

In Standalone mode, there are three methods to set the system time: Set the System Time Manually, Acquire the System Time From an NTP Server, and Synchronize the System Time with PC’s Clock.

Have you tried other methods to set system time and does it work for your case?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-04-19 13:12:41

@Fae 

It is in Standalone, it does not show any code in the error message. I did a test using a computer as an ntp server and it worked, but when it comes to consulting an external server it doesn't work. Remembering that it does not work only on the satellite connection, using conventional internet it obtains the time normally. I tested putting the IP address of the external server and the problem persisted.

Options
2021-04-20 00:40:36

Dear @superuserbr,

superuserbr wrote

Remembering that it does not work only on the satellite connection, using conventional internet it obtains the time normally. I tested putting the IP address of the external server and the problem persisted.

Are you able to ping the NTP server when using satellite internet?

Try connecting a PC instead to the satellite connection and ping for checking.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-04-20 02:00:57

@Fae 

Yes, communication tested and ok.I've been researching and it seems to me that the TP-Link devices wait only 500 ms for the server's response. I tested it on the computer and it got the time normally, my cell also consulted the NTP server normally. Only the EAP on the satellite connection that has an error. Can you confirm this information that the waiting time is only 500 ms?Remembering that connection via satellite the average time is 700 ms. Thank you for your help.

Options
2021-04-21 04:02:13 - last edited 2021-04-21 04:02:48

Dear @superuserbr,

superuserbr wrote

I've been researching and it seems to me that the TP-Link devices wait only 500 ms for the server's response. 

May I ask how you find that the EAP waits only 500ms for the server's response?

Only the EAP on the satellite connection that has an error. Can you confirm this information that the waiting time is only 500 ms?Remembering that connection via satellite the average time is 700 ms.

Sorry that I'm not so familiar with the satellite network, could you please tell me more about the satellite network? Is it using a 3G/4G card for internet connection? As it can get time from NTP server when using conventional internet, may I know the difference between the two networks? More background may help to figure out the problem. Thank you so much!

Options
2021-04-21 04:42:37

@Fae 

Searching I found this information, and then tplink support answered by email with this information, and I was told that this is a characteristic of the equipment and not the forecast of firmware to "fix" this.

Satellite connection uses a satellite dish aimed at the space where the geo stationary satellite is located.The signal travels more than 70 thousand kilometers with the round trip. Even though the signal is already going at the speed of light, adding the processing times and the distance, the latency of the internet via satellite that uses geo stationary satellites, is always greater than 550 ms,being the average response time, somewhere around 700 to 800 Ms. Unfortunately this creates an incompatibility that I consider silly, since a small change in the firmware and everything would be resolved. Could TP-Link provide me with custom firmware to fix this issue?

Options
2021-04-21 09:12:58

Dear @superuserbr,

superuserbr wrote

Searching I found this information, and then tplink support answered by email with this information, and I was told that this is a characteristic of the equipment and not the forecast of firmware to "fix" this.

To be honest, I didn't know that the EAP device has this characteristic, neither I can tell right now whether a firmware can be provided to fix the issue. Is the satellite internet widely used in your region?

For your case, I'd suggest you capture the packets of EAP's LAN to verify if the EAP does only waits only 500 ms for the server's response, then upload the capture file here so that I can try to report the issue to the support team for further assistance.

Note: you may connect your EAP to a router/switch that supports Port Mirror so that you can capture the packets.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1068

Replies: 7

Related Articles