antenna position

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

antenna position

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
antenna position
antenna position
2021-04-19 14:56:46 - last edited 2021-04-20 13:39:50
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

I am not overly impressed with the signal strength (distance) of this device.

If the the device is at the top of a hill and i wish the signal to primarily go downhill (primarily in one direction/small angle) is there a particular position i should put the antennas in?

Also just a general question.  I always had read that (in general) that 2.4ghz goes further and 5ghz is faster.  But the marketing materal for this device says 200m for the 2.4ghz and 300m for the 5ghz.  is this because it is outdoors (no obstructions)?  just curious even those numbers must be from a test in a complete vacuum or something, cause there isn't anyway you are getting near those numbers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:antenna position-Solution
2021-04-20 10:59:23 - last edited 2021-04-20 13:39:50

@wifipete 

Hey

Hopefully be able to answer this for you, well try too! :)

If the the device is at the top of a hill and i wish the signal to primarily go downhill (primarily in one direction/small angle) is there a particular position i should put the antennas in?

The device comes with Omni Directional aerials and will therefore broadcast in all directions evenly from the aerial (see image below), therefore the aerial should be either vertical or if the hill is steep / large drop then at at 45degree following the hill  .  Personally, I would go vertical straight up as this gives you no issues with phasing

Also just a general question.  I always had read that (in general) that 2.4ghz goes further and 5ghz is faster. 

Yes.. and No sadly.    In theory, yes 2.4 has a lower amplitude and longer length, therefore should travel distances better.  However the type of modulation of the signal also affects this, older B and G grade 2.4 will be roughly the same distance as newer AC on 5Ghz.  This is due to the modulation / multiplexing of the signal and not specifically the frequency its broadcast at.  

The amplitude of the signal increases speed at expense of range (wavelength), therefore yes 5ghz is faster at a reduced range (on average)

If you are looking to send a signal down the hill in a very specific / tight angle then this antenna is wrong for you.   As said Omni Directional broadcast in all directions, thats not what you are after and you might be better with a different setup.

1.  Change to a directional antenna (Sector or Omni with Reflector) .   These are usually shaped like a square box / pringles tin, all the signal strength goes in one direction, vs evenly in all directions.   Example below shows this from a top down view, notice the extended range on Onmi R and Sector (Sector is better)

2. Other option, if possible..return the outdoors AP and go for a CPE510 or similar.  These are directional outdoor APs designed to span distances - I use them for coverage of loading bays, parking lots and signal between buildings

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/outdoor-radio/cpe510/

But the marketing materal for this device says 200m for the 2.4ghz and 300m for the 5ghz.  is this because it is outdoors (no obstructions)?  just curious even those numbers must be from a test in a complete vacuum or something, cause there isn't anyway you are getting near those numbers.

I cant find the material you refer to for this, and would expect it to be the other way round (2.4 ghz longer) but that aside... These numbers are the theoretical distances of the wavelength in a perfect scenario from one edge of the signal, to the other    1 -  AP -  2    .   Outdoors is good, but not perfect..  indoors worse again.

Bit like MPG on a car, its tested on a rolling road..  Highway will be good but not what is stated, town less so.

Also bear in mind, signal isnt the end goal here.   I live in the countryside and can walk 100meters over fields and still pick up WiFi signal.. its weak and totally un-useable.. but its there.. Technically the signal has went 100m

Rough finger in air guess, outdoors with just flat land (no trees, buildings etc) you can expect a "usable" signal at 50-70m with onmi directional on 5ghz.   Directional that should pass 100m but each case is different.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:antenna position-Solution
2021-04-20 10:59:23 - last edited 2021-04-20 13:39:50

@wifipete 

Hey

Hopefully be able to answer this for you, well try too! :)

The device comes with Omni Directional aerials and will therefore broadcast in all directions evenly from the aerial (see image below), therefore the aerial should be either vertical or if the hill is steep / large drop then at at 45degree following the hill  .  Personally, I would go vertical straight up as this gives you no issues with phasing

Also just a general question.  I always had read that (in general) that 2.4ghz goes further and 5ghz is faster. 

Yes.. and No sadly.    In theory, yes 2.4 has a lower amplitude and longer length, therefore should travel distances better.  However the type of modulation of the signal also affects this, older B and G grade 2.4 will be roughly the same distance as newer AC on 5Ghz.  This is due to the modulation / multiplexing of the signal and not specifically the frequency its broadcast at.  

The amplitude of the signal increases speed at expense of range (wavelength), therefore yes 5ghz is faster at a reduced range (on average)

If you are looking to send a signal down the hill in a very specific / tight angle then this antenna is wrong for you.   As said Omni Directional broadcast in all directions, thats not what you are after and you might be better with a different setup.

1.  Change to a directional antenna (Sector or Omni with Reflector) .   These are usually shaped like a square box / pringles tin, all the signal strength goes in one direction, vs evenly in all directions.   Example below shows this from a top down view, notice the extended range on Onmi R and Sector (Sector is better)

2. Other option, if possible..return the outdoors AP and go for a CPE510 or similar.  These are directional outdoor APs designed to span distances - I use them for coverage of loading bays, parking lots and signal between buildings

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/outdoor-radio/cpe510/

But the marketing materal for this device says 200m for the 2.4ghz and 300m for the 5ghz.  is this because it is outdoors (no obstructions)?  just curious even those numbers must be from a test in a complete vacuum or something, cause there isn't anyway you are getting near those numbers.

I cant find the material you refer to for this, and would expect it to be the other way round (2.4 ghz longer) but that aside... These numbers are the theoretical distances of the wavelength in a perfect scenario from one edge of the signal, to the other    1 -  AP -  2    .   Outdoors is good, but not perfect..  indoors worse again.

Bit like MPG on a car, its tested on a rolling road..  Highway will be good but not what is stated, town less so.

Also bear in mind, signal isnt the end goal here.   I live in the countryside and can walk 100meters over fields and still pick up WiFi signal.. its weak and totally un-useable.. but its there.. Technically the signal has went 100m

Rough finger in air guess, outdoors with just flat land (no trees, buildings etc) you can expect a "usable" signal at 50-70m with onmi directional on 5ghz.   Directional that should pass 100m but each case is different.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:antenna position
2021-04-20 13:39:24

@Philbert thanks for

the detailed response, it all makes sense.

here is the image from Amazon with the 200/300m claims.  For 70 bucks I would not expect that, but would expect at least half of that hill or no hill.  You can probably tell I am pretty disappointed with this thing.

Options
Re:antenna position
2021-04-20 17:09:33 - last edited 2021-04-20 17:10:58

@wifipete 

To be perfectly honest, what you are describing is not unexpected for wireless, I install these daily and see the same complaints regardless of vendor (Meru, Maraki, DLink etc)  Yes the more expensive devices will have a higher gain antenna and therefore reach further, but is is a case of deminishing returns.    You have to bear in mind that the traffic has to come back from the client over the 100m distance also...  

I do feel however you have purchased the wrong device for your requirements, you would be better with an external directional high gain AP on a point to point setup.   An Omni Directional AP isnt the best option for you

This Omni Directional device is good for coverage in a garden or parking lot, somewhere its in the centre on a post and everyone is around it.  However if you are specifically looking to send a signal over a distance in a specific direction as far as possible.  Its the wrong device for you, changing the antenna to Omni Reflector or Directional will help with this, but the distances you are trying to achieve is really outside the specification for a standard AP.  

You really should be looking at specific device for this, something like the CPE510 is hotspot AP mode. This will easily cover 1km of distance, but bear in mind you need to be able to get your devices to send the signal back to the AP!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 767

Replies: 3

Related Articles