Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi 4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi 4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Re:Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi 4
2021-09-14 10:13:32

@Collado OK, we need to see if the controller is actually running.

SSH into the PI. Then sudo tpeap status. If the controller is running see if you can access it from a browser running on the pi. If you can, there is probably a firewall port blocking you.

If the controller is not running, then we need to debug that. Go to the data directory, should be in /opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db. Delete file mongod.lock. run sudo tpeap start. see if that does the job.

Options
2021-09-14 18:10:26
Thank you!
https://wemakeyourcalls.center/
Options
2021-09-21 15:54:29

@GaryGFL how did you get MongoDB 3.x on Ubuntu Server 20? I've considered just pulling the packages for Ubuntu 16, but didn't really want to get lost in dependency hell and other messes. Did you just use the Ubuntu 16 packages (and if so did you need to do anything else to make it work besides adding the relevant  sources  entry)?

I think I may be resigned to shoving this on a tiny VM by itself so it can have all its outdated dependencies to itself (and be utterly isolated from the world outside the management VLAN), but I'd like to at least know what I'm getting myself into.

Options
2021-09-21 19:59:02

@JessicaJ there is a 3.6.9 package here https://pkgs.org/download/mongodb-server for ubuntu 18 and 20. I'm not having dependency hell. Running a standalone pi.

can check here http://ge.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/m/mongodb/ as well.

Options
2021-11-13 14:42:20

@tlr6052021 

wasnt able to install in 20.4 ubuntu due to issue with mongodb (Omada need 3.x), it gives hell lot of dependencies issue.

Finally ended up with

-- pi4 running ubunt 18.x 

-- mongodb 3.x

-- Latest omada controller for ubuntu

Running from last few weeks, no problem. My pi is just setup as Ubuntu server (headless) which runs Omada controller and cups and is connected to my network via Lan.

No issue whatsoever.

Options
2021-11-17 16:01:43

I managed to get the Omada software controller running on Ubuntu Server 21.10 for Raspberry Pi with just one step: installing the deb package and the dependencies it needed.

$ sudo apt install mongodb-server jsvc

And 

$ dpkg -i Omada... .deb

That was it. No issues with installation or starting the server after that.

Options
2021-12-01 17:40:34 - last edited 2021-12-01 20:41:03

I personally do not prefer running docker for any production use so decided to go bare-metal and I was able to install the latest controller this past weekend on the RPI4 (4GB) that I had doing nothing using Ubuntu server 20.04.

The guide I used worked perfectly on arm64 version of the Ubuntu Server 20.04  and I did not have any issue following the guide in this website.

Install Omada Controller on Ubuntu 20.04

NOTE: Instruction has a typo on "sudo apt install curl jvsc", it should be corrected to "sudo apt install curl jsvc"  << This is fixed by the blog owner after I informed him/her.

Also I followed "Install from .deb" route in the guide)

Options
2021-12-01 17:49:11

@FreeWoRLD 

how long have you had it running?   I will redo mine using these instructions.   I have tried on two different pi3b with two different 32gb se cards.   Since I have the app now, I can see when the controller goes offline and I go and reboot it.  Hoping that it's something in the process itself and not the hardware.    Will report back but wanted to say thanks for sharing that link.  

Options
2021-12-01 17:57:52 - last edited 2021-12-01 20:36:20

@Collado I tried this method while waiting for my OC200 order to deliver which I received yesterday. So, RPI4 controller ran around 2-3 days without any issue.

If it helps, I suggest using a proper SD card which in my case always makes a huge difference on overall stability and speed. I have been using "Samsung Pro Plus" sd card which I am pretty satisfied. I also wanted to overclock RPI 4 a bit just to make sure it runs better. Of course you need some kind of cooling for overclocking which I do with a fanless Flirc case. You also have to make sure your power adapter has enough to support RPI.

For overclocking, I used below guide. Good luck

Configure Clockrate

1. open configuration file
    sudo nano /boot/firmware/config.txt
  2. add the following lines at the end of the file.
    #overclocking
    over_voltage=4
    arm_freq=1850
  3. reboot

Options
2021-12-01 21:09:46

@Collado I have had the controller software running on my Pi4 8GB model since July without any issues so far. I have not done any overclocking or anything on it. Just regular updates using the deb packages TP-Link releases and OS patching. I don't have anything else running on the Pi either.

Options
Related Articles