DHCP Question(s) / Cloud Adoption TL-ER7206 Router and OC200 Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-22 08:38:10
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: Unknown

I am (trying) to migrate from an old router, which has ~130 entries in the DHCP reservation table. And a router LAN IP of 192.168.1.1

In standalone mode, I patiently migrated these manually (2+hrs) to the ER7206. This worked just fine.

However, I only spotted that the OpenVPN support is via the OC200 controller, so I bought one of those and tried to adopt the ER7206.

For reasons I do not understand, it changed the IP address of the router to 192.168.0.1 (default) and then failed.

I tried to access the router directly (standalone network) on the 192.168.0.1 address but it said it was now cloud-managed, so i added the controller to this standalone network.

Poof. All of the DHCP reservations are gone (they were in the 192.168.1.2-254 range obvs). BAD :-(

Now .. assuming that I can actually make this work in the cloud-managed configuration ..

1) How do I reserve DHCP address in the way I did in standalone mode. I don't see this anywhere. Is it hidden or just not there.

2) How do I actually see the DHCP reservations at *all*. I also don't see this.

3) Is there *any* DHCP reservation process supported in this configuration?

Thanks all.

Pat

Options
6 Reply
Re:DHCP Question(s) / Cloud Adoption TL-ER7206 Router and OC200 Controller
2021-04-22 10:34:44

@patmolloy 

Hey

1) How do I reserve DHCP address in the way I did in standalone mode. I don't see this anywhere. Is it hidden or just not there.

The only way to set a manual reservation is by selecting the device itself and under CONFIG enable use fixed IP

2) How do I actually see the DHCP reservations at *all*. I also don't see this.

Yeah its not there sadly, really should be a list of DHCP and Reservations somewhere on the SDN.   This has been mentioned a few times by forum members (myself included) and I am lead to believe its on the radar for a future release version.

3) Is there *any* DHCP reservation process supported in this configuration?

See answer 1..  its there but not clear or easy.. totally agree!

Options
2021-04-22 10:39:21
Oh dear. I feared as much. I might just go standalone for now and forego OpenVPN. I don't quite understand the interplay, however. If I *do* set up reservations standalone and assuming the adoption process actually works (i.e. I don't get that reversion to the 192.168.0.1 address which is tedious), would those reservations persist. Or is the adoption process destructive to this (and other things already configured in standalone mode)? Thanks so much for your most helpful (if disappointing!) reply! Pat
Options
2021-04-22 11:42:39

@patmolloy 

Hey

The adoption process is totally controlled by the SDN, therefore anything you set in local mode will be removed in favor of the SDN config.  So basically yeah its destructive, granted ive never tested DHCP reservations  specifically, but cant see why it would be any different

The 192.168.0.1   thing you mentioned is again the controller setting, it defaults to that upon adoption but you can change it via the SDN.    We all had that before!      If memory serves me right, changing the LAN interface IP in the SDN is the way round that...

Options
2021-04-22 11:51:49

@Philbert  Thanks. Oh dear, I appear to have fallen into rookie bear traps!! Ah well, spending 2+ hrs typing in all the DHCP reservations was, erm, therapeutic :-)

Don't really approve of the destructive nature of the adoption. May be a good tech reason for it, but deeply user unfriendly IMO.

Pat

Options
2021-04-22 11:58:41
Yeah. I use a few SDN vendors and they all do some type of reset during adoption, dont think TP Link are unique in that. It does kinda make sense why they do it, however its not ideal agreed. Be nice if there was some way to migrate stuff out of the local config and into SDN... likely wishful thinking!
Options
2021-04-22 12:09:38
Thanks. So helpful. Sincerely appreciate you taking the time. Kudos.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 908

Replies: 6