Issue with setting static IP addresses (software controller 4.2.11)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-25 21:54:08 - last edited 2021-04-26 00:06:57
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: TL-R605(UN)_V1_20200930

Hi all,

I have tested software controller (4.2.11 linux) with my ER605 (TL-R605).

Wanted to migrate my settings from standalone and stepped on a problem.

In my network originally I provide only a subset of network for DHCP for example 120-180 from /24 subnet.

For some other addresses I have static IP bindings to hand typed MACs like 2, 3, 4, 5, 21, 35, 60, 81,82... (I use my order, it doesn't matter).

In standalone it works fine as it worked on old hardware however when using controller I can only assign static address to a device when it requests address from DHCP (device must be shown in clients tab) so I cannot set a MAC to IP mapping before device requests any address which forces me to do reboot of some equipment since it asks for it only on boot and also it is required that addresses to be statically assigned MUST be from DHCP starting-ending IP pool.

So because of that I have to set up DHCP for full subnet from 2-254 (missing 1 for router) instead of 120-180 which of course causes problems:

- devices which will connect to network will occupy first free address from DHCP or get random one (I don't know which exactly does the controller since I received 136 from 130-140 range) so instead of my desired part of subnet (120-180 from above example) they can utilize any of it making me trouble to maintain what is going on in the network.

- I don't know if controller is aware of it but in theory might happen (didn't had time for test) - if I then set static address for any device directly in it's config like 45 (so device will not ask for DHCP for address) and after that other device asks DHCP for address it can get 45 (since it was not used in DHCP pool) so collision might occur.

Can You change controller software to match standalone device's behavior?

I would like to assign static addresses without having to connect client to network and also to assign addresses from outside of DHCP starting-ending IP pool.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Issue with setting static IP addresses (software controller 4.2.11)
2021-04-26 05:54:26

Dear @stratify,

stratify wrote

In standalone it works fine as it worked on old hardware however when using controller I can only assign static address to a device when it requests address from DHCP (device must be shown in clients tab) so I cannot set a MAC to IP mapping before device requests any address which forces me to do reboot of some equipment since it asks for it only on boot and also it is required that addresses to be statically assigned MUST be from DHCP starting-ending IP pool.

Can You change controller software to match standalone device's behavior?

I would like to assign static addresses without having to connect client to network and also to assign addresses from outside of DHCP starting-ending IP pool.

Thank you for your valued feedback.

This has been forwarded to the developer team, and it's planned to be supported gradually in the subsequent updates.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 467

Replies: 1

Related Articles