recommendation: Wall or Ceiling (if in corner)?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-04 18:21:52 - last edited 2021-05-04 20:58:59
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.2

Just a simple curiosity thing to try and get the best install + performance + range. I haven't permanently mounted my EAP245 APs yet and am wondering if I should bother with ceiling mount (and cable management), or just keep them wall mounted? I'm thinking the radio beams are semi-directional (in favor of ceiling mount + horizontal signals) but it could be identical no matter the mount.

In short, is the signal more "A" or "B" or "C"?

Options
5 Reply
Re:recommendation: Wall or Ceiling (if in corner)?
2021-05-11 09:09:04 - last edited 2021-05-11 09:16:11

@MikeL_c8en3f3 

Hey

Sorry only noticed this now

Quick answer its close to A when mounted on Wall or Ceiling.  However the angle does take some (not a lot) of difference

Signal is best at 30 / 72 degree angle from wall ceiling (bright green)    No db loss due to angle

its very good at 72 / 90 degree, or straight below (darker green)    -2 to -3 db loss due to angle

its lowest (still good) at tight angle of 0 / 30 degrees (yellow)     -5 to -6 db loss due to angle

there will be some bleed out the back, but this is not its desired angle and will be a lot weaker (possibly usable at close range)

This is pretty standard with most APs of this type (ubiquiti nano etc) as their patterns are similar.   Ideally mounting these on the ceiling is best and it will cover a reasonable room, however I have 2x EAP245s.. one ceiling, one wall and they work perfectly in both configs. 

best setup is ceiling in the middle of a room.  Failing that wall is perfectly good.    My engineers call these "claymore" APs if that helps describe the pattern!  (war veterans lol)  

Apologies for the poor sketch, hope it helps!

Options
2021-05-11 09:19:31
Just realised i never answered you question.. If in corner, I would go WALL setup, but both will work!
Options
2021-05-11 11:20:49
Thank you. I've had them running in corners walls, dangling precariously for a couple weeks, on floors 1+3, opposite corners, and they work quite well. 2.4 covers whole house, 5 gets 90% coverage. So I think I'll commit and mount them. I haven't figured out a way to temporarily ceiling mount without drilling, which I'm trying to avoid, for tests. I figured the back plate was a bit of a shield to intentionally avoid cross talk across floors, but I'm actually trying to get a bit of that.
Options
2021-05-11 13:10:18

@MikeL_c8en3f3 

Hey

Yeah the backplate is really only for mounting, doesnt cause much interference.  Its more the aerials are designed to work frontside, however you will get bleed to the back a good bit so hopefully will suffice for you

I have used Command Strips and double sided pads to attach these to ceiling tiles before.. there is no weight in them really

Options
2021-05-11 15:24:42
Yeah. I had it taped up for a while just with blue-tape ... worked fine. Might try it on ceiling as you suggest (but then I have to figure out wires more carefully too). Cheers. Thanks for the information.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2597

Replies: 5

Related Articles