Omada sdn with cpe210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada sdn with cpe210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Omada sdn with cpe210
Omada sdn with cpe210
2021-05-13 18:10:28

Hi here... I have a hospot configured using oc200, 3 eap 225 outdoor, one eap 110, all SDN upgraded to the latest... Now i am thinking of adding CPE210 to the network by configuring it as an access point and attached it to a Jetstream sdn switch (that am planning to get)... My question is: 

- will the portal function work normal on the CPE210?

- in case it work, will a phone connected on other eaps and connected to internet still be connected when it switch to the CPE210 SSID?

Hoping to get help or know if someone has tried this... Thanks

Options
9 Reply
Re:Omada sdn with cpe210
2021-05-13 20:13:47

@Saamoss 

Hey

The Pharos CPE range are not configurable / cannot be adopted by the Omada controller. 

You could indeed configure the CPE210 with the same setup as the controller, but it wont work as part of the SDN, namely anyone moving from the Omada Range to the CPE210 wont seamless roam. 

It will basically work like any other "non omada" access point

Hope that helps!

Options
2021-05-14 06:19:10

@Philbert i know the CPE 210 won't be part of the SDN , but it could work as an access point to the switch... So any client connected to the CPE210 will show in the controller as wired connection... Even if there's no seamless roaming, the portal could still work well i guess..

Options
2021-05-14 07:51:17

@Saamoss 

On the User Guide I can only see that SDN Router has portal feature instead of SDN Switch, you might not able to get what you want with an SDN Switch.

Why do you want to add a CPE to your network? EAP225-Outdoor would be a better choice if you want to extend the Wi-Fi to outdoor.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-05-14 07:59:27

@Virgo 

Covering the space i want will require about 6 eaps 225 outdoor, whereas i can cover it with 4cpe.. besides one eap is twice expensive than cpe, and taking in consideration the fact that one eap must not have more than 3 hops in the meshing, it's quiet difficult..

Options
2021-05-14 08:21:14

@Saamoss 

Well, but you know, CPE210 is a single band product with 100M port and directional antenna, and coverage is limited in Beam Width: 65° (H-Plane) / 40° (E-Plane).

Moreover, even CPE was advertised that it can up to several kilometers, but that's for point to point connections between CPE and CPE.

For normal mobile Clients, they can only talk with CPE within 20~40 m (Clients have to send signal back to CPE). And on 2.4G there are more interferences, so the actual communication distance will be shorter.

You might get disappointed if you anticipate too much on CPE...

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-05-14 08:39:08

@Virgo 

I would 100% agree with Virgo on this one

Yes the CPE can provide client access, but its not going to be any better than an EAP225 Outdoors, arguably less when you include the semi directional antenna and no support for SDN / Roaming.

The CPE really should only be used for Point to Point or distance transmission, as Virgo mentioned clients would not be able to provide a strong enough reply to the CPE from greater than 30 to 50 meters, which would ultimately make this useless as an AP.   

Genuinely think you should consider a larger 225 outdoors setup with the APs wired (or meshed) to your SDN.   Yes it will cost more, but its a more elegant solution in my honest opinion.

Options
2021-05-15 22:08:39

@Philbert 

People use CPE here as an access point and it performs really well, even better and at a longer distance than eaps... It's because of it i wanted to add it

Options
2021-05-15 22:58:42 - last edited 2021-05-15 23:05:40

@Saamoss 

I think you are missing the point Virgo and myself are making here

Yes 100% agree you can use these as Access Points, no debate about that what so ever.     Also agreed the strength of the antenna will reach further than most EAPs, however thats not the point we are making. 

Most client devices will be much lower power and likely a omni directional antenna, therefore it may well indeed receive packets from the CPE at 50/80100m, but its not going to have the ability to reply to them.    Basically your Tx is fine but your Rx will have loss

I have set up dozens of these sector / directional over the years, mostly ubiquiti granted and used a few of them in AP mode.  Specifically remember one customer thinking the same as you, wanted WiFi access to a security hut 40 or so meters across a loading yard, stuck in a big sector antenna aimed towards the hut.. He called me to look at why his laptop wouldn't connect from the hut, he could see the SSID OK, just couldn't reply to it from that distance... it simply doesn't work that way.  However its your money, feel free to crack on if you wish

Options
2021-05-16 06:19:26

@Philbert 

Yeah I understand...well thank you very much... I will see what I can do...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1093

Replies: 9

Related Articles