Cannot move EAP245 access point to site after adoption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-13 19:12:45 - last edited 2021-05-14 09:29:38
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.0 Build 20210406 Rel.58757

After having manged my three EAP245 access points using the Omada software controller for a year I finally decided to purchase a OC200 hardware controller. However, I am having trouble moving the access points from the software controller to the hardware controller.

I am "forgetting" the access point on the software controller, and then "adopting" it on the hardware controller. That much works, but there is a red "i" in a circle next to my device name in the list that says "This device is not compatible with the current controller. To manage the device, update the device first." when you hover over it. When I try to move it to my default site it fails with the message "[Failed]Cloud Main-Administrator dlherrin@xxxx.com failed to move 50-D4-F7-9C-29-00 to Site POP Campus."

Can anyone please tell me what is going on and how to fix it? (I do not think my EAP245s are really incompatible with the OC200 controller.)

My list of equipment is as follows:

• TP-Link OC200 v1.6 (firmware 1.8.0 Build 20210406 Rel.58757)
    • TP-Link EAP245 v3.8 (firmware 2.4.0 Build 20200117 Rel. 39932)
    • TP-Link TL-SG1005P v1.8 (5-port Gigabit Desktope Switch)

Many thanks!

Dave

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Cannot move EAP245 access point to site after adoption-Solution
2021-05-13 20:02:11 - last edited 2021-05-15 15:49:21

@dlherrin 

Hey Dave and welcome

Should be an easy fix for you mate.   The EAP245 is running an older firmware that is designed for v3 of the SDN, you are running v4 on your controller.

A simple update of the firmware should sort this.   It may be availble via the devices tab in the controller (have a look) but if not do it offline by logging directly into the AP (while not adopted).

You are looking for a v5.x   firmware   latest is 5.0.2

Download link here for UK

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/eap245/#Firmware

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-05-14 11:52:22 - last edited 2021-05-15 15:49:12

@dlherrin 

Hey Dave

When you do the update of the controller to v4.x.x  (4.3.5 is latest) its a total wipe of the device so basically you are starting again.  However I would do it this way

• In v3 controller forget the 3x APs
  • Take a backup of the config (with no APs adopted)
  • Update controller to v4
  • Do initial setup then restore the config you backed up earlier (v3 config to v4 controller, unless you just want to start fresh)
  • Try adopting one of the APs   -   If successful see if it will prompt you for firmware update under DEVICES, if so repeat for others

• If not updating via controller.  Forget the one you adopted as a test and do the update manually via the IP Address GUI (point to firmware on your PC), then re-adopt

That should be you after that :)

Any queries do just reply

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2021-05-13 20:02:11 - last edited 2021-05-15 15:49:21

@dlherrin 

Hey Dave and welcome

Should be an easy fix for you mate.   The EAP245 is running an older firmware that is designed for v3 of the SDN, you are running v4 on your controller.

A simple update of the firmware should sort this.   It may be availble via the devices tab in the controller (have a look) but if not do it offline by logging directly into the AP (while not adopted).

You are looking for a v5.x   firmware   latest is 5.0.2

Download link here for UK

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/eap245/#Firmware

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Cannot move EAP245 access point to site after adoption
2021-05-14 11:08:22

@Philbert Thanks for the tip! Now that you point it out I see that I am currently running version 3.2.1 of the Omada software controller. I thought I had updated my APs to the latest firmware, but most likely it was the latest version of the firmware supported by 3.2.1. smiley

If I cannot update the firmware using the software controller, does anyone have a suggestion on how to apply the most recent firmware to my 3 APs? Backing up my configuration, updating the software controller to V4, restoring the configuration, and then applying the firmware update?  Forgetting the APs one-by-one, then updating the firmware, and adopting them into the OC200?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Options
2021-05-14 11:52:22 - last edited 2021-05-15 15:49:12

@dlherrin 

Hey Dave

When you do the update of the controller to v4.x.x  (4.3.5 is latest) its a total wipe of the device so basically you are starting again.  However I would do it this way

• In v3 controller forget the 3x APs
  • Take a backup of the config (with no APs adopted)
  • Update controller to v4
  • Do initial setup then restore the config you backed up earlier (v3 config to v4 controller, unless you just want to start fresh)
  • Try adopting one of the APs   -   If successful see if it will prompt you for firmware update under DEVICES, if so repeat for others

• If not updating via controller.  Forget the one you adopted as a test and do the update manually via the IP Address GUI (point to firmware on your PC), then re-adopt

That should be you after that :)

Any queries do just reply

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-05-14 12:39:11

@Philbert 

Thanks! I will try as you suggest next time I am there.

Dave

Options
2021-05-15 15:51:35

I applied the firmware updates to my EAP245 access points individually. After they were updated I was able to adopt them under my OC200. Thank you @Philbert !

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1033

Replies: 5