Chromecast across multiple VLAN (Omada)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-18 21:35:26 - last edited 2021-05-18 21:36:33
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20200930 Rel.36519

Hey all,

Noob question. I created serveral VLANs and using a EAP235/245 for wifi. All VLANs are working and not able to cast.

setup:

Admin = No VLAN

Adults = 10

Kids = 20

IoT = 30

Guest = 40

When I'm on the Admin Wifi, I can cast to all the devices on IoT VLAN. When I choose any other VLAN, Chromecast goes in circle. Is there a way to set up a protocol for them to speak and also keep the VLANs secure. 

The objective of the VLANs is to ensure what ever the kids do on the internet, doesn't put the adults PC's at risk. 

Thanks for any guidance or help in advance

Options
4 Reply
Re:Chromecast across multiple VLAN (Omada)
2021-05-19 06:04:06

@Eskaycee 

Not sure what is the current issue.

VLAN is used to separate the network into different part. And they are not able to communicate to each other.

And this function usually need to configured with another Switch, if you just set multi-VLAN on EAP, some VLANs might not able to get internet access.

Like this example from TP-Link, this example has 4 VLANs, and they can only access to its related VLAN resources, and they can all get access to the internet through internet gateway router.

How to Setup TP-Link AP’s Multi-SSID (VLAN) to Work with TP-Link Switch?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-05-19 14:05:13

I don't think tplink supports any type of mDNS reflector/repeater which is needed to get chromecast to work across VLANs.

Options
2021-05-19 20:43:51

@Virgo 

Thanks for the link, as per the link everything is set to be segregated. 

I'm going to try this following link as a solution and see if it doesn't open up holes in the VLANs

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/257264

Options
2021-05-19 20:45:19

@mackworth 

When doing my research, I notice that too. Hopefully there's an alternative solution

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2414

Replies: 4