EAP 225 APs with OC200 Controller When Managed Wifi spped limited to 18Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-02 15:44:49
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.3

I had a standalone EAP 225 for a long time I have since expanded My Omada system include a 2nd EAP225 F/W 5.0.3 and a OC200 F/W 1.8 controller.

When the APs are configured as Standalone a speed test show the full Internet Line speed is available as the throughput about 58Mbps I think it would be even fast on these APs but that is the Line limiting it.

I Adopted both APs into the controller and replicated the WIFI settings for the Multiple SSIDs and VLANs I have configured and everything seems fine, however now when performing the same Speed Test I cannot get a connection faster than18Mbps.

I thought this was strange so I tested from Multiple Devices all 18Mbps or there about.

I dropped one of the APs out and configured from scratch with a new SSID to isolate, back to full speed!!!!!

Therefore I transferred all of the configuration from the OC200 back Manually to the APs as standalone..

Now everything runs as it should, but I no longer get the useful stats and client info from having them connected to the controller.

Has anybody seen this issue or a work around that can resolve it

Options
14 Reply
Re:EAP 225 APs with OC200 Controller When Managed Wifi spped limited to 18Mbps
2021-06-02 16:33:30

@MrTheJim 

Hey

To be honest we would really need some more information on your setup before we can make any suggestions, 18mbps is really slow

How are you testing this speed?

What is your ISP / Router / Switch setup?

What devices have you running and are they connected via 2.4ghz or 5ghz

What way did you setup the OC200?  

I cant say I have ever seen anyone report this before so makes me think its a config or setup issue if honest.

Options
2021-06-04 13:47:29

@Philbert 

How are you testing this speed? speedtest.net

What is your ISP / Router / Switch setup? PlustNet FTTC > TL-R605 v1.0 > TL-SG2210MP v1.0

What devices have you running and are they connected via 2.4ghz or 5ghz Tested on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

What way did you setup the OC200? Primary Omada Controller Manages the TL-R605 v1.0 & TL-SG2210MP v1.0 & the EAP225

I'm setting up the EAP's with the Same SSID setting WPA2 settings which I know are exact as I don't want to have to re-configure any of my devices.

I'm not enabling any extra settings other than configuring the SSIDs and Vlans required for connectivity.

The only thing I've done is drop them AP's off the OC200 Omada Controller and set them up manually, I have 2 APs so I even did one at a time so I could copy the settings from the contoller AP to the Standalone one.

Options
2021-06-04 14:45:35

@MrTheJim 

Hey again

Do you have band steering enabled or are you separating your SSIDs into separate frequencies?   If you can post a picture of your wifi config from the controller would help

What does the device read as the connected speed when on the controller owned AP?   Are you getting a signal/connection of 433 / 866 or higher mbps?   Be interested to know what that reads as, it can usually give some indication to speed rates and bandwidth     All the controller does is apply the config to the AP, I cant say I have ever known it to change the speed in any way.

Any screenshots of your Client / Controller setup would be helpful.  

You could try an IPERF3 test from a LAN to WiFi device, this will flood the air and tell you exactly how fast the wifi is working.   Rules out any LAN config issues.

Options
2021-06-04 15:01:25

@Philbert

Band Steering is not enabled

The SSIDs run on the same frequencies as there is no option to split them as the channels as at the radio level

The connection Rates seem to be the same on both 263Mbps being the highest I've seen

I'm Ruling out the LAN as I'm not making any changes to anything but the APs and I get the same results running the speed test from a PC connected to a 1Gb Ethernet cable.

The only thing I can think of is that while in controller mode the APs are being pulled down from b/g/n to b only and a/n/ac to a only but the Wireless Mode is one of the settings you cannot alter via the controller.

Options
2021-06-04 15:52:23 - last edited 2021-06-04 15:53:53

@MrTheJim 

Hey again

There is a few things there that are curious, the 263mbps speed you recorded (at the fastest) is rather low.    A standard single antenna card should be getting ~433mbps on 5ghz, one would expect closer to 866mbps as most AC cards are dual antenna, that does seem more like a 2.4ghz connection speed.    What device are you running and how far from the AP are you?

Also the screenshot you have included, are they from the AP in standalone mode?   its more the config on the controller I am curious about as this appears to be where the issue manifests.   Would you be able to provide a screenshot of it?  If this is the controller, are you running SDN v3?  (they both look similar).

Below is what I would expect to see on a v4 controller

You indicated your SSIDs are on the same channel, what I meant was as you have band steering OFF, are you broadcasting the SSIDs for 2.4ghz / 5ghz separately under different names?    SSID1_2.4   SSID1_5 for example

Options
2021-06-04 15:57:28

@MrTheJim 

OK so just hopped onto a v3 site, yes it looks like you are running a V3 controller.

What version of firmware is on your APs?   This could be you have an SDN v4 AP firmware controlled by a V3 controller.  

It might be worth updating the lot to SDN v4 firmware.  If you post the details we can see if that is the issue

Options
2021-06-09 11:20:39

@Philbert 

Options
2021-06-11 09:18:58

@MrTheJim 

Hey again

So yeah 100% you are on the right controller version.   Can I ask where this screen came from you posted earlier?   That looks either old controller or standalone AP

Options
2021-06-11 09:22:36

@Philbert These are from Standalone AP's as I need full speed on the network I'm running with them off the Controller. You are correct you cannot access these settings on the controller only a subset.

Options
2021-06-11 09:29:49

@MrTheJim 

Hey again

Sorry but perhaps im mis reading this or not understanding..

These are from Standalone AP's as I need full speed on the network I'm running with them off the Controller.

By that sentence above, do you mean at the moment the APs are not managed by the controller as you need them to be operating at full speed?    namely, they are unmanaged at present so you can work away un-affected?   :)

Hopefully I understood that correctly!

When they were on the controller, did you manually force the channel width to 80mhz or leave as auto?   I only ask as a few people have previously reported that auto gives really slows traffic speeds, granted I've never had it personally but they report forcing 80mhz addresses the issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1581

Replies: 14