eap 225 v3 connecting issue and not showing channels in omada controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-10 15:38:38 - last edited 2021-06-11 15:03:22
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.3

Hello, i have 3 eap 225's v1 and 3 eap 225 v3 so total 6, connected to OC200 and using hotel voucher we are a hotel. Some guests complain from the floor their rooms are witch use the eap 225 v3 that they cannot connect but they can connect from the reception where i have the old eap225 v1...this is confusing why this happens and i would understand if the opposite happend. I also notice the v3's lately have no guest devices connected.... 

Looking in omada controller i see that the v3 AP'S have no channel shown,  only the old v1's have channels for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I have fixed channel settings for all ap's but i also tried using auto to see any changes but unfortunately no channels are shown again. What does this mean when you dont see channel? That the controller does not give channel or is there some other issue? 

Ap's are to the latest firnware and my OC200 has version 1.2.4 i cannot update this to the latest firmware as it would not support our v1 devices. 

Thank you for your help guys

Cheers

Nek

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:eap 225 v3 connecting issue and not showing channels in omada controller-Solution
2021-06-10 22:17:01 - last edited 2021-06-11 15:03:22

@Nek 

Hey

This is quite a common issue and you are indeed on the correct path

The version of firmware installed on your EAP225 v3 (5.0.3) is designed to run on SDN version 4.x   (OC200 firmware 1.7.4 or higher) and that is why you are not getting the stats and likely other issues, its not designed to work on the older controller software.  In short the controller needs updated to restore functionality.

However, the EAP225 v1 as you say will not work on the v4 controller.

Being honest, really only two options for you

1.  contact support and see if you can get the older firmware for the 225 v3 that supports version 3 SDN.   Sadly this is no longer available online, however a call to TP Link support and they might provide this for you.    Then downgrade the v3s to the older firmware and that should sort the issue.    Apologies I can't remember the exact firmware version offhand.  

2.  Replace the older v1s and upgrade to SDN v4  -  I doubt this is what you had intended however! 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:eap 225 v3 connecting issue and not showing channels in omada controller-Solution
2021-06-10 22:17:01 - last edited 2021-06-11 15:03:22

@Nek 

Hey

This is quite a common issue and you are indeed on the correct path

The version of firmware installed on your EAP225 v3 (5.0.3) is designed to run on SDN version 4.x   (OC200 firmware 1.7.4 or higher) and that is why you are not getting the stats and likely other issues, its not designed to work on the older controller software.  In short the controller needs updated to restore functionality.

However, the EAP225 v1 as you say will not work on the v4 controller.

Being honest, really only two options for you

1.  contact support and see if you can get the older firmware for the 225 v3 that supports version 3 SDN.   Sadly this is no longer available online, however a call to TP Link support and they might provide this for you.    Then downgrade the v3s to the older firmware and that should sort the issue.    Apologies I can't remember the exact firmware version offhand.  

2.  Replace the older v1s and upgrade to SDN v4  -  I doubt this is what you had intended however! 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:eap 225 v3 connecting issue and not showing channels in omada controller
2021-06-11 01:28:25 - last edited 2021-06-11 01:56:42

@Philbert 

Yes ...v1 and v3  ap's no longer work together at least in my case.... after creating this post i updated OC200 to latest firmware SDN and it adopts v3's as it should, i will go buy 1 more to cover our needs for now, and i will put my v1's for retirement or for home use....moving on now it's showing old and new SSID's any idea 💡 how to get rid of the old ones and generally how to erase 1.2.4 settings including v1's ?  i Hope i dont need downgrade again to get rid of this information.

Thanks alot 

Options
2021-06-11 09:16:12

@Nek 

Morning

Glad you made some progress!   It sounds like the right course, sometimes you just have to replace the hardware, been there!! 

Can I ask what firmware version you updated the OC200 too?    I only ask as the v4 update is destructive and will remove all settings, you shouldn't have anything from the old controller there unless you restored the config?

When you say the old SSID is showing, can you explain a bit more?  Do you mean its broadcasting or still visible in the controller?   If you had a screenshot that would help

Options
2021-06-11 11:06:15

@Philbert 

Goodmorning  @Philbert ,  all is going well!

I  ordered a new eap 225 v3 once i get in my hands i will get it ready and running!

OC200 is running v4.3.5  (the latest version from what i see), new interface nothing like the 1.2.4, i will need some time to learn and get comfi with it but i will eventually find it no big deal.

I will have to create a hotspot with voucher and welcome page again as i want to give that professional touch to our wifi.  Ive created a temporarily  SSDI with a password for the guests to use until i finish with hotspot.

Yes the SSDI'S broadcasting were the old ones from 1.2.4 but they are no longer visible, i reset all v1's back to factory maybe this had to do...who knows it might have some cache? LOL

In  v4.3.5 I cant seem to find how to set manual channels and other settings for the AP's......i will watch some tutorials i believe tplink has something launched. 

Thanks for support 👍

Options
2021-06-11 11:11:45

@Nek 

Hey again

That's what I had suspected was the case!  As the old v1 device now doesn't have a controller to talk to they will just continue to use the last config they were given, namely the old SSID.    Resetting them was the only option for you, good call

In relation to changing the channel for the APs, easy.. going left to right its under..

DEVICES  >  choose the AP you want  >  on popup at right  >  CONFIG   >   RADIOS

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1953

Replies: 5

Related Articles