How to enable DHCP-Server?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-12 09:45:06 - last edited 2021-06-28 13:50:46
Model: SG2210P  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.20.1 Build 2021 0407 Rel.40405

Hello there,

as the changelog of the new firmware says a DHCP-Server is now supported.

New Feature/Enhancement:

1. Add the L3 features DHCP Service, L3 interface, and Static routing

How can I enable it? I'm using Omada 4.3.5

Thanks for your help,

Lars Kusch

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to enable DHCP-Server?-Solution
2021-06-28 10:12:08 - last edited 2021-06-28 13:50:46

Dear @LarsK1,

LarsK1 wrote

@Somnus I contacted the TP-Link support a few weeks ago, and they told me:

It is currently not possible to configure DHCP in the Omada controller only with an Omada switch but with no Omada gateway.

This is possible in the latest version of the Omada controller, v4.3.5, but the firmware of the gateways and switches for this controller version is not yet released.

This will happen in the near future for the currently supported gateways and switches.

Once this is done, you will be able to configure DHCP via the controller using Omada Controller v4.3.5, currently this is only possible via an Omada Gateway.

Ticket-ID: 210500683

So I assumed that using the newest firmware, which should support an dhcp on the switch, I really can use it.

The goal is to use Omada as the DHCP-Service, but without a router, as in the current network setup another device manages the ethernet access

The L3 features such as DHCP Service have been added on the Omada Controller v4.3.5, which will require both the Controller and the Omada SDN Devices' firmware to support accordingly. Mentioned here.

I assume that the reply from the TP-Link support was already out of date. The firmware of the Omada Switch to add the DHCP Service feature has been released at the end of May. If the current firmware of your Switch managed by the Controller has already added the DHCP Service, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the switch in the Devices list to reveal the Properties window, then navigate to Config -> VLAN Interface.

2. Move the mouse over the corresponding VLAN, you will see the Edit icon, see the picture below:

Note: you can go to Settings -> Wired Networks -> LAN to create new VLANs as you want.

3. Click the Edit icon to configure DHCP Mode as DHCP Server and set the DHCP Range.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:How to enable DHCP-Server?
2021-06-16 09:22:39
Not sure what you want to achieve, but usually this feature need to work together with a router. I think this YouTube video is useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i17jvrIjD0
Options
2021-06-16 14:27:28 - last edited 2021-06-16 14:28:31

It is currently not possible to configure DHCP in the Omada controller only with an Omada switch but with no Omada gateway.

This is possible in the latest version of the Omada controller, v4.3.5, but the firmware of the gateways and switches for this controller version is not yet released.

This will happen in the near future for the currently supported gateways and switches.

Once this is done, you will be able to configure DHCP via the controller using Omada Controller v4.3.5, currently this is only possible via an Omada Gateway.

So I assumed that using the newest firmware, which should support an dhcp on the switch, I really can use it.

The goal is to use Omada as the DHCP-Service, but without a router, as in the current network setup another device manages the ethernet access

Options
2021-06-19 08:03:05
Do you mean you don't want a router in your diagram? But switch doesn't have NAT function. I'm afraid only one switch won't let you have internet even if it has DHCP function. I'm not sure what will happen with a non TP-Link omada gateway. But I am using the whole set omada series with both gateway and switch, and I have the DHCP function. My controller is 4.3.5, switch is SG2210P with the latest firmware version. (Don't know how to post picture).
Options
2021-06-26 04:57:25

@Somnus I do have a router in my network, but it shouldn't serve as DHCP-Server. That's because my network is divided into different V-Lans, which should get an own address space.

@Fae any statement from TP-Link about the ticket answer from your support department?

Options
Re:How to enable DHCP-Server?-Solution
2021-06-28 10:12:08 - last edited 2021-06-28 13:50:46

Dear @LarsK1,

LarsK1 wrote

The L3 features such as DHCP Service have been added on the Omada Controller v4.3.5, which will require both the Controller and the Omada SDN Devices' firmware to support accordingly. Mentioned here.

I assume that the reply from the TP-Link support was already out of date. The firmware of the Omada Switch to add the DHCP Service feature has been released at the end of May. If the current firmware of your Switch managed by the Controller has already added the DHCP Service, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the switch in the Devices list to reveal the Properties window, then navigate to Config -> VLAN Interface.

2. Move the mouse over the corresponding VLAN, you will see the Edit icon, see the picture below:

Note: you can go to Settings -> Wired Networks -> LAN to create new VLANs as you want.

3. Click the Edit icon to configure DHCP Mode as DHCP Server and set the DHCP Range.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-28 13:48:26

@Fae Thanks for your reply! You helped me pretty well!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2038

Replies: 6

Related Articles