Omada EAP with home ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-16 14:44:32

Hi All

I'm currently looking between Deco and Omada in my tech busy, thick walled household.

Current setup.

Detached house, 2 floors, extension and garden office.

Ethernet via cat6 upstairs and down and cat 7(to office)

Virgin Media Business router 500meg plan. (wifi enabled own SSID) Own SSID

2 x TP link AP200 2.4 and 5g enabled. 1 upstairs, 1 down stairs Each on own SSID. 

1 x Linksys EA8300 in office.  Has same SSID as downstairs AP200

Devices = Too many, 7 laptops, 5 phones, 4 tablets, 5 Alexas, 3 x Firetv sticks, 2 x TVs, XBox, 2 x printers, plugs and lights, Ring Doorbell and 2 CCTVs. 

As you can see a congested house. Of course not every thing is online at the same time.

My current issue is that all wifi devices pretty much hang onto their connection to access points. I have reasons for dedicated SSID, but want to upgrade to get all on the same level.

So looked at Deco and the X90 would be my choice. However, I am a control freak and the Omada gives me the control over the network and all from one place and also the ability to have the more diverse set of devices to handle.

As I have good stable Ethernet then my ideal is to be able to roam from the front of the house and when I get to my office, use the office AP.

If I go for the x90, then I am around my £500 budget. However,  I am looking at some point that I would may need to add an additional Deco device towards the front of the house, which would then take my overall spend up closer to £650 ish

So to the question.

Should I start off with 245s and maybe add a 620 at some point or add to the x90, as these offer me seamless roaming. I'm hoping the 245s will act independently when connected using Ethernet, so won't drop  the bandwidth for that 'hop'

Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada EAP with home ethernet
2021-06-17 13:16:25 - last edited 2021-06-17 13:18:40

@SteveJB 

Hey

If you are going for the Omada 225s and have these cabled in, then just get yourself an OC200 controller and manage them centrally.  This will also give you the seamless roaming, AI roaming, Band Steering etc that you want to have

Ultimately its up to you on this one, however from someone who installs both Deco and Omada hardware.  When I was in your scenario I went with the Omada 245 APs running off the controller, for use in the house, this was roughly Sept last year and they haven't let me down at all.    Dont get me wrong, the Deco range is good... just feel at £500 I want to move away from Home to Business grade stuff

My setup for home

2x 245s

1x OC200 Controller

1x R605 router

1x SG2008P Switch

All in this cost me around £400 (€500, I live in Ireland) and its been superb.   WiFi 6 gear I personally feel is still overpriced for the small real world advantage, I'm holding off until WiFi6E so the 245s will do the job well

Went 245 over the 225 just to have the 3x3 and capacity.   Averaging around 25 devices connected, 40 or so during peak times.

Should also add the Deco and Omada don't seamlessly roam between each other.  Its one or the other, personally I wouldn't mix them together.. its messy

Options
2021-06-17 18:27:11

Thx for the response. I had a chat with online today at the X90 is their recommend. I know it is is future proof for the next year or so, but I am probbaly with you for the business grade kit being better anyway. Unless the X90 is discounted on Prime Day, I think it has to be the 245s as they will roam and backhaul, however, if i can't get 245v3, then it is probably going to be the X90, as Amazon are only stating version 1s.

Options
2021-06-19 00:55:20

@SteveJB 

The 225 v3 will also roam, however there is no backhaul, the only difference really is the 2x2 vs 3x3 antenna.   Unless you have a device with 3x3 card (its rather uncommon) there really isn't any big advantage for the number of devices you are looking

The 265 could also be an option if that is available

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 912

Replies: 3

Related Articles