OMADA Software Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-16 22:07:51 - last edited 2021-06-18 07:49:17

Howdy,

I'm using OMADA software controller in some scenarios, to save me time.

In the device list, i had once a notify to upgrade the AP's, but i don't see how to make the controller show me the option to check make the omada controller check for firmware for the AP's.

What can I do?

You can check in the below image, the upgrade FW option used to appear on the right, on the "action" column,

Thanks in advanced,

Jorge

Options
10 Reply
Re:OMADA Software Controller
2021-06-18 07:59:31

Dear @JorgeBastos,

JorgeBastos wrote

In the device list, i had once a notify to upgrade the AP's, but i don't see how to make the controller show me the option to check make the omada controller check for firmware for the AP's. What can I do?

You can check in the below image, the upgrade FW option used to appear on the right, on the "action" column,

Check the image below:

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-06-18 08:25:05

@Fae Hi,

Well, I've seen that, but it said i have to enable clould access, and I don't want that.

I'm sure this was working in previous versions of the OMADA software controller.

But now in 4.3.5 it ask's me to enable the cloud access.

How can this be done without cloud access, like it as working before?
Please let me know ASAP,

Thanks in advanced,

Options
2021-06-21 11:36:27

Dear @JorgeBastos,

JorgeBastos wrote

Well, I've seen that, but it said i have to enable clould access, and I don't want that.

I'm sure this was working in previous versions of the OMADA software controller.

But now in 4.3.5 it ask's me to enable the cloud access.

How can this be done without cloud access, like it as working before?
Please let me know ASAP,

I'm afraid that the Omada Controller v4.x doesn't support checking for the firmware update without cloud access enabled.

May I know the reason why you don't want to use cloud access?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-06-21 12:53:05

Hi,

Oh I see, but that doesn't make any sense...

No way to put back that feature with an workarround or so?

There's no reason why I should have cloud access, no point in that and it's useless.

Let me know ASAP.

Options
2021-06-23 03:24:51

@JorgeBastos 

Hi, you can tap the device, go to config>manage device, and upload the latest firmware manually.

Here is the firmware file download link, and make sure you are using the local Controller.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-06-23 07:55:01

Hi,

Ok, but I'd like to do it all by once, like before.

No other way?

Options
2021-06-23 15:13:58

@JorgeBastos 

I don't like cloud access either, but I just enable the cloud access every few weeks to do a firmware check, then disable after the firmware check is complete.

I did find that the app on my phone sometimes found the updated firmware even when cloud access was disabled, but YMMV

Options
2021-07-03 20:13:16

@Fae - Answering for myself (but reasons will probably be the same for many):

Because:

There's no good reason an online account is required for this feature.

I don't want my network access dependent on anything more than it already is. (Hardware, software configuration, ISP).
I don't want Yet Another Online Account to manage.

And lastly, Online Security is incredibly difficult to do right, and fragile. I don't trust TP-Link to implement everything well, and even if you do everything "perfectly", you can still be compromised. (See: Solar Winds)

Example:

• 2FA is still not available for Omada Cloud!
  • Same wildcard cert is used for Omada Cloud page as for the home camera login. Heck, there's a wildcard cert for this forum, which is the official method/location to manually download firmware. Is the firmware signed? When updates are found is the cert chain strictly checked? Is there a hash that is verified before an update is installed? Etc)

Options
2021-07-03 20:28:50

@YATechMonkey 

Hi,

Valid for you, not for me.

Why should I want an online account, when I have access to the remote devices, filtered by IP/public IP?

Options
2021-07-05 04:37:43

@JorgeBastos Wot? I think you misunderstood what I wrote? (Though I'm not sure how)

JorgeBastos wrote

@YATechMonkey 

Hi,

Valid for you, not for me.

Why should I want an online account, when I have access to the remote devices, filtered by IP/public IP?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1530

Replies: 10

Related Articles