is there way of putting 1gb download limit for each clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-25 15:56:29 - last edited 2021-06-27 04:15:56
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: omada software version 2.4.2

is there way of just giving 1gb download limit, like when he pass that 1gb, his/her is disconnect?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:is there way of putting 1gb download limit for each clients-Solution
2021-06-26 23:41:58 - last edited 2021-06-28 00:53:12

@JanjanPiloton 

The third party metering program would need to be on a device between the WAN and the switches, almost like a firewall device.  It would monitor sending clients and give them limits on download as needed, once limit is hit the firewall blocks that traffic

Ive set it up before and it does work, but its not a common solution if honest. 

Im Omada like most networks its not about the volume of traffic being downloaded, rather controlling the speed it can download at.  This comes in two flavors

Session Limits and Bandwidth Controls

Session Limits are the number of simultaneous sessions allowed, this can be set per device or network.  Say someone opens a torrent and you have a session limit of 5, once 5 peers start sending that user the torrent it wont allow any more sessions to open.    Its not specifically for torrents, will affect video streams, web browsing, email etc.   Its basically a way of stopping one user taking total control by using hundreds of small connections.

Bandwidth Controls are as they state, a throttle on the bandwidth.    Say you have 100mbps down and 50mbps up, you can restrict users to only being able to utilize a max of 70 down and 30 up so as not to exhaust your connection, the extra free bandwidth can be allocated to another user or VLAN.  This can be set as Shared or per Device, eg in a guest setup you could allocate 80mbps and all users fight over it (shared).. or set it as 2mbps and each user gets just 2 regardless (per device).  Shared is generally the easier way to manage it

Hopefully that helps?

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-01 05:32:02 - last edited 2021-07-10 04:16:24
It limits the total traffic(upload+download), you could set it as MB or GB depend on your needs.
Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:is there way of putting 1gb download limit for each clients
2021-06-26 12:04:51 - last edited 2021-07-10 04:16:14

@JanjanPiloton 

This feature is not something that is common or supported in Access Points, or even controllers for that matter.    What you are referring to is traffic metering.

To do something like this you would need to implement a proxy or third party product to handle the users and disconnect / block them as needed.    Something like   PanCafe Pro  or MyCyberCafe  will let you set $$ limits for users.   I have used both of them for cafes and cyber spots before, granted not in a long time!

If you give everyone say $10 each time automatically and set the costing to 1cent per mb, they then are disconnected at 1gb..    its something like that you would need to setup

This wouldn't be a standard feature for any vendor if honest.

Options
2021-06-26 21:42:22
So its called traffic metering, so there's nothing like this in this software. It's need 3rd party, and that; really hard to do. Having 3rd party in apps or software, don't really trust. Can i ask question again, what's the help of traffic limit here in this software?
Options
2021-06-26 23:41:58 - last edited 2021-06-28 00:53:12

@JanjanPiloton 

The third party metering program would need to be on a device between the WAN and the switches, almost like a firewall device.  It would monitor sending clients and give them limits on download as needed, once limit is hit the firewall blocks that traffic

Ive set it up before and it does work, but its not a common solution if honest. 

Im Omada like most networks its not about the volume of traffic being downloaded, rather controlling the speed it can download at.  This comes in two flavors

Session Limits and Bandwidth Controls

Session Limits are the number of simultaneous sessions allowed, this can be set per device or network.  Say someone opens a torrent and you have a session limit of 5, once 5 peers start sending that user the torrent it wont allow any more sessions to open.    Its not specifically for torrents, will affect video streams, web browsing, email etc.   Its basically a way of stopping one user taking total control by using hundreds of small connections.

Bandwidth Controls are as they state, a throttle on the bandwidth.    Say you have 100mbps down and 50mbps up, you can restrict users to only being able to utilize a max of 70 down and 30 up so as not to exhaust your connection, the extra free bandwidth can be allocated to another user or VLAN.  This can be set as Shared or per Device, eg in a guest setup you could allocate 80mbps and all users fight over it (shared).. or set it as 2mbps and each user gets just 2 regardless (per device).  Shared is generally the easier way to manage it

Hopefully that helps?

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-28 01:01:07
thank you, I think third party is too difficult for me, session limits and bandwidth control might don't totally gets and I think this might be difficult for me. So i think i'll just stick on download limit and upload limit. But thank you, Thank you for your answer, it help me on knowledge.
Options
2021-06-29 08:16:04

@JanjanPiloton 

If you set portal authentication, you can set traffic limit for one voucher code, portal authentication need the Controller running online all the time, it's a little complicated but can achieve your need.

Options
2021-06-29 18:22:50
I know where's the traffic limit, but what I don't is what's the job of this or what is this for? and this gb limit? is this for download or upload?
Options
2021-07-01 05:32:02 - last edited 2021-07-10 04:16:24
It limits the total traffic(upload+download), you could set it as MB or GB depend on your needs.
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-02 00:41:39
sum of upload and download. Really? wow ok, i'll check it
Options
2021-07-10 04:20:41
Aw, man Super thank you. I'm 1 year EAP user and didn't know that its just like this, it's super simple, It's just the sum of download and upload. And if it's not for you. I'm not gonna get this. Thank you man.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 907

Replies: 9

Related Articles