Deco M5 VLAN for Smart Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-02 18:31:38 - last edited 2021-07-05 10:50:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there.

I'm willing to buy a new Deco M5 3-pack to use in my apartment.

I would like to isolate the Smart Devices, such smart switches, light bulbs, sensors, cameras, zigbee hubs, Raspberry, etc...

Have it separated from my final devices, such iPhones, computers, TVs, etc... using a proper DHCP range and some static-IP too.

Is this possible?

All devices are 2.4GHz capable.

I use HomeKit environment (Apple TV is the hub) + Homebridge hub on a RBP4

Tks for your assistance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 VLAN for Smart Home-Solution
2021-07-02 20:03:17 - last edited 2021-07-05 10:50:50

@petrocino 

You may be able to achieve it with Deco. Deco mesh boadcasts two WiFi networks: Main and Guest, they have different SSID. When Deco mesh runs in Router mode, these two networks are always separate, in Access Point mode - network isolation is optional and configurable in Deco WiFi settings.

Which means, you can connect your Smart Devices to Guest network and they will be separate from devices connected to Main network. Note that any device connected by Ethernet cable to Deco unit is considered to be on Main network, you can't change this.

Deco WiFi configuration settings screen, in Deco app:

You can set static IP addresses, through DHCP reservation, but I am not sure you can specify different DHCP ranges for Main/Guest networks. Deco is consumer grade WiFi mesh system, it may not allow advanced networking setup but it covers basics for common household.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 VLAN for Smart Home-Solution
2021-07-02 20:03:17 - last edited 2021-07-05 10:50:50

@petrocino 

You may be able to achieve it with Deco. Deco mesh boadcasts two WiFi networks: Main and Guest, they have different SSID. When Deco mesh runs in Router mode, these two networks are always separate, in Access Point mode - network isolation is optional and configurable in Deco WiFi settings.

Which means, you can connect your Smart Devices to Guest network and they will be separate from devices connected to Main network. Note that any device connected by Ethernet cable to Deco unit is considered to be on Main network, you can't change this.

Deco WiFi configuration settings screen, in Deco app:

You can set static IP addresses, through DHCP reservation, but I am not sure you can specify different DHCP ranges for Main/Guest networks. Deco is consumer grade WiFi mesh system, it may not allow advanced networking setup but it covers basics for common household.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 893

Replies: 1

Related Articles