Unable to implement URL filtering in my Omada AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unable to implement URL filtering in my Omada AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:Unable to implement URL filtering in my Omada AP
2021-12-29 08:40:01

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue. The blocking of URLs doesn't seem to work at all.

I created a URL Filter to block certain URLs.

I also created an IP Group with the devices that should adhere to the blocking.

It doesn't work, I can still access the URLs. Even when playing with the urls, like *.facebook.* ; facebook etc.

Hopefully TP-Link can fix this, or explain how it's done correctly.

Options
Re:Unable to implement URL filtering in my Omada AP
2021-12-29 11:06:17

Dear @Nielsvd,

Nielsvd wrote

I created a URL Filter to block certain URLs.

It doesn't work, I can still access the URLs. Even when playing with the urls, like *.facebook.* ; facebook etc.

Hopefully TP-Link can fix this, or explain how it's done correctly.

At present, the URL Filtering works in URL Path mode when the gateway is managed by the Omada Controller.

In URL Path mode, only the URLs to visit are the same as those add to the list will be filtered. 

So it is helpless if the URLs of the websites is changing a lot.

For your case, it may be more reasonable to block the large websites such as Facebook and YouTube via Keywords instead. 

Via Keywords, the URLs that match the inclusion relationship will be filtered directly, so it's effective for the websites with various URLs.

To use the URL Filtering in Keywords mode, you may need to manage the gateway by Standalone GUI, see as the image below. 

For your information, the Keyword mode has been planned to support in Omada Controller in the future firmware updates.

Kind note: No matter which filter mode is used, please clear the DNS cache before you verify whether the rule takes effect or not.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Related Articles