Automatic firmware update of access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-11 23:49:38

Hi, is there a way to setup the Omada access points so that they auto update their firmware?  I am running Omada Controller on Windows.  Thank you.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Automatic firmware update of access points
2021-07-12 12:42:23

@Hammer8 

Unfortunately not, this is likely not a feature by design

In a business setting, there would be no desire to have APs upgrade Firmware automatically as this could in-advertantly cause a number of headaches.

1. Result in downtime for the network as the APs randomly reboot, could be middle of day when the network is in operation

2. There is a slim but not insignificant chance that APs could fail the update, again downtime and now coverage / capacity issues

3. The firmware has not been tested by an admin, may cause issues with clients as support or features are dropped / added

4. There is no guarantee the firmware is solid and wont be pulled quickly.  Most admins would delay at least a few weeks to see how the new firmware works before mass rollout, therefore if there is an issue its only affecting a few test devices.

As the Omada range is designed for business, imho this is unlikely ever going to be a feature.  However, you will get alerted to upgrades of firmware as they become available.

Options
2021-07-12 14:10:55 - last edited 2021-07-12 14:12:57

@Philbert Thanks and makes sense.  How does one set up the new firmware alerts?  The issue I am running into right now is it is very time consuming to download the firmware for each model AP individually and then update each one individually.  It would be great to have the Controller alert me if there is a new update and ask me if I would like to download and install.

PS - I see in the release note for the most recent Controller version that it fixes an issue of recalled firmware versions.  This sort of implies the above is possible, but I can't find it in the UI for the life of me!  Thanks!

Options
2021-07-12 18:34:14

@Hammer8 

Below is a slightly old screenshot but its very similar now

When you look at the devices in the controller it will alert you should a newer firmware be available, you can then select the "up arrow" on the right to start the upgrade

Options
2021-07-12 19:13:06

@Philbert  That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I've never seen those arrows on my system even when updates are available.  Right now, my firmware is up to date, but I do see an up arrow next to Version (in the column heading).  When I click it, it says Cloud Access is disabled.  Does Cloud Access need to be enabled for this to work?  Or is that arrow for something else?  Thanks again!

Options
2021-07-12 19:25:11

@Hammer8 

Ah yes

From what I have read on the forums you do indeed need cloud access enabled for this to work.  

Once enabled (if you decide to do so) this should trigger next time an update is present

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2451

Replies: 5

Related Articles