Wifi outage on Software controller reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-12 08:27:59
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

Hi,

I run an Omada Software Controler with some EAP Access points. Whenever I reboot the computer running the controller, Wifi is disabled for a moment. Looks like some "re-provisioning".

Why is that needed. Can I avoid that? I want to be able to reboot the controller computer without killing wifi.

Best regards,

Andre

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wifi outage on Software controller reboot
2021-07-12 12:33:34 - last edited 2021-07-12 12:34:21

@wuppi 

Hey

The controller is designed to be online 24/7 and therefore after a reboot the APs will be re-adopted.  This will result in the APs wiping their current configuration and pulling a fresh new version from the controller and results in downtime on the AP during this re-configuration.

This is not specific to Omada or TP Link, other vendor solutions also do this also.   Ideally the controller should be left online perminantly, it might be worth considering an OC200 controller if the device you are using for the controller is not dedicated to this task (a home PC or desktop for example).

Options
2021-07-12 13:24:50

@Philbert 

I assumed something like this - however it is a server which is online 24/7. But every server needs an update / reboot once in a while and I wondered if the WiFi-status should be tied to this. 

But thank you for the quick response. From my point of view, there should be a way to "re-connect" the controller without "resetting" the AP. Btw, does this happen to Omada managed switches / gateways / routers too?? 

br,

Andre

Options
2021-07-13 07:37:18

@wuppi 

Usually, if you just configure basic wireless settings, you don't need to keep running the controller. I have the whole set of Omada devices(gateway, switch and EAP), I don't have this issue. Do you also have the Omada gateway?

But I try to configure mesh before, if I shut down the controller, mesh AP won't reconnect if it disconnects from the root AP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 467

Replies: 3