OC200 seemingly dead after power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OC200 seemingly dead after power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:OC200 seemingly dead after power cycle
2021-07-19 04:51:31

@Larz256 Yea The old controller is dead, and its backup doesn't seem to have the same password. I think I'm going to set a password manually so in the future when I have another dead controller situation I don't have this problem.

Options
2021-07-20 02:50:12

Dear @Dillius,

Dillius wrote

@Larz256 Yea The old controller is dead, and its backup doesn't seem to have the same password. I think I'm going to set a password manually so in the future when I have another dead controller situation I don't have this problem.

The backup file will contain the device account, after you restore the backup file, you may write down the Device Account under Settings -> Site, then try to adopt the devices and check if it works.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-07-20 03:49:37

To clarify @Fae's point if anyone else finds this thread, I DID NOT know about the device password configuration information before I reset my devices; so in theory it would have been correct when restored but the Restored Controller instance would not have "automatically adopted" the devices but I could have used that name and password myself to manually adopt the devices to avoid the time and effort of resetting each of the devices manually.

I will definitely be keeping that in mind if I have to do this again.

Options
2021-07-20 05:17:27 - last edited 2021-07-20 05:22:31

@Dillius Ah fair enough.

@Fae That bring up an interesting point; Once registered, does the controller reach out to devices (push) or do the devices poll into the controller (pull) for configuration?

If it is pull (or even push if the device IPs have changed), it makes sense that the connection is broken even with the right device password on the controller.

I think either deploying the new controller on the same IP as the old controller, or advertising the new controller's IP through DHCP Option 138 would make it automatically adopt again.

Options
2021-07-20 07:42:08 - last edited 2021-07-20 07:42:22

Dear @Larz256,

Larz256 wrote

@Fae That bring up an interesting point; Once registered, does the controller reach out to devices (push) or do the devices poll into the controller (pull) for configuration?

If it is pull (or even push if the device IPs have changed), it makes sense that the connection is broken even with the right device password on the controller.

Because the devices were managed by Controller A (the OC200) before, they only remember and look for where Controller A is by the IP address, Controller B (the software controller) won't use its device account to automatically adopt them when devices are marked as managed by others. We need to reset the device or manually provide the device account to unbind devices from the previous controller A and adopt it in the current controller B.

If we use the migration feature to migrate the controller, the devices will discover controller B and be adopted automatically.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options