same SSID and portal, different WLAN groups, authenticated device not recognized by another

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

same SSID and portal, different WLAN groups, authenticated device not recognized by another

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-13 10:43:39
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.3

I've set up my shop such that different areas have different APs and WLAN groups.

For example:

Area A, EAP A, wlan group A: wifi_shop (default portal/voucher), wifi_otherA

Area B, EAP B, wlan group B: wifi_shop (default portal/voucher), wifi_otherB

Area C, EAP C, wlan group C: wifi_shop (default portal/voucher), wifi_otherC

For [wifi_shop] SSID, all settings are common, and since they are using the same portal and there is only one voucher manager, I expect that an authenticated client can roam between these areas without needing to reauthenticate. However, this is not the case. When the client is authenticated in Area A and roams to the EAP in Area B, the authentication is not recognized, thus the portal appears when connecting. The client tries to use the same voucher code but it is no longer valid for second use. The logs and records in the controller show that the same device is still authenticated and valid, but the portal prevents the client to reconnect to the network.

Is this a known bug, and what workaround can be done to resolve this?

Options
8 Reply
Re:same SSID and portal, different WLAN groups, authenticated device not recognized by another
2021-07-13 11:50:21
Hello Doods, I don't think it is a bug because when you roaming from EAP A to EAP B, authentication needs to be done again so you need a new voucher code.
Options
Re:same SSID and portal, different WLAN groups, authenticated device not recognized by another
2021-07-13 12:02:40

@Bananafish what's the point of roaming if both are to be seen as different networks? They are not. They are using the same portal and voucher management. The same device is seen by the controller as valid and authenticated. If the device authenticates with another code (ie. client purchases a new one), another authorization is recorded making it redundant. As such, it is wasteful to both client and business.

Options
2021-07-13 13:44:06 - last edited 2021-07-13 13:45:45

@Doods 

You cant roam between wlan group without reauthorization, but this should be a easy task to fix. 

create one wlan grup with your ssid

WiFi_shop and WiFi_other and then use SSID override on specific access point that ned its own SSID

override wifi_other to wifi_otherA and so on.

if there is not hundreds of access Pont this is pretty fast to do.

override is done on access point config and WLANs

Options
2021-07-13 23:25:49
I'm familiar with override and it's quite simplistic, thus I'm not using it. For example, I need wifi_otherA to be visible, while wifi_otherB have to be hidden (SSID broadcast off). This can't be overridden as such, along with any other configurable settings. My point is, the device does not need to reauthenticate and reauthorized since there is still a valid authorization seen by the controller. And the controller, being the central controlling entity, just need to verify that.
Options
2021-07-14 07:43:28
If you want to roam between three EAPs without needing to reauthenticate, why don't you put all EAPs in the same WLAN group? If they are in the same group, they don't need to reauthenticate, I think. If you want each AP has its specific name, just use override.
Options
2021-07-14 08:13:33

@Doods 

Yaah you can send a wish list to TP-LINK and in the meantime your guests can log on to the portal every time they roam between a wlan group if you are not looking for a solution.

The controller looks at wlan groups as a separate network, therefore it is so, but maybe @Fae  or other in TP-LINK can explain this better than I can.

Options
2021-07-14 08:38:00

Dear @shberge,

shberge wrote

The controller looks at wlan groups as a separate network, therefore it is so, but maybe @Fae  or other in TP-LINK can explain this better than I can.

Yes, you are correct. Each WLAN Group works as a separate wireless network, so it will require re-authentication when clients roam among different WLAN Groups.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-07-14 09:14:57
This is the current implementation, but is it the intended implementation? If it is, what is the business application of such? I don't see how it is beneficial to the customer and their clients. Right now, it is somehow a hindrance to what a customer expects of such functionality.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 842

Replies: 9

Related Articles