Single EAP225 in use at home. Want to add another with fast roaming query

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-14 11:29:30 - last edited 2021-07-26 14:57:20
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All

Total newbie here so my apologies if this sounds like a stupid question.

I currently have 1 x EAP225 at home that I configured using an app on my iPhone.  The EAP is powered by the POE injector supplied in the box and then cabled to my home ISP router which is downstairs.  The EAP is located in my upstairs hallway and I have it temporarily fixed the the wall and not ceiling (read it can be wall or ceiling mounted ??) and so far my old "dead spots" are now gone - good times.

I want to add another EAP downstairs as some areas are not as strong as I would like them (running off ISP wifi) but I wondered as I do not have the physical cloud controller would I still be able to set up fast roaming using the app or via an internet browser ?.  I know you can download the cloud controller software to a PC which I can if need be if this is required for the fast roaming set-up.

Thanks in advance

Ben   

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Single EAP225 in use at home. Want to add another with fast roaming query-Solution
2021-07-14 14:01:39 - last edited 2021-07-26 14:57:20

@Benje 

Hey

The ability to fast roam is not a feature that is managed by the Access Points, you would indeed need a controller to enable this.  Something like the OC200 might be an option for you if you don't have a spare PC or device to run the software controller.

The reason for this is simple, only a controller has knowledge of the entire network to advise and handle the movement of the client from AP to AP.    Without a controller the AP isn't aware and doesn't care about the other APs, it takes the controller to instruct the AP to start roaming clients.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Single EAP225 in use at home. Want to add another with fast roaming query-Solution
2021-07-14 14:01:39 - last edited 2021-07-26 14:57:20

@Benje 

Hey

The ability to fast roam is not a feature that is managed by the Access Points, you would indeed need a controller to enable this.  Something like the OC200 might be an option for you if you don't have a spare PC or device to run the software controller.

The reason for this is simple, only a controller has knowledge of the entire network to advise and handle the movement of the client from AP to AP.    Without a controller the AP isn't aware and doesn't care about the other APs, it takes the controller to instruct the AP to start roaming clients.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Single EAP225 in use at home. Want to add another with fast roaming query
2021-07-14 17:09:44

@Philbert 

Hi Philbert

Thank you for replying so quickly to my post.  I did think I would need somrthing like the OC200 to run it properly as my PC at home is not up and running 24x7.

The reason I was interested in the fast roaming as there might be a few rooms where there is overlap having one AP upstairs and another downstairs.  My house was extended back in the mid 70's so there are quick a few thick brick walls.

One other question if possible, My AP is mounted on a wall (temporarily) and it seems to be working fine and I noticed that the installation guide does mention this is ok but as a rule of thumb, is it better to mount them on the ceiling for best coverage/reception ?

Thanks again

Ben  

Options
2021-07-15 03:11:38 - last edited 2021-07-15 06:27:42

EAP uses omni-directional antenna. In my point of view, it should not have significant differences whatever you put it in an open area. But if you mount it on the ceiling, it may be less interfered?

Options
2021-07-15 09:05:40

@Benje 

Like Somnus said the EAPs are omni directional, but not in the same way a dipole (straight pole) antenna is.

DiPole antenna broadcast in a sphere with the dipole as the centre, sadly this is very wasteful when mounted as it will fire 50% of the signal into the wall / ceiling. 

Therefore APs are sectorised Omni, basically the same but maximised for one direction so as to send as little as possible into the wall / ceiling.  Optimally this ideally mounted on the ceiling as it will fire at 25 to 80 degrees angles as shown below, that way you have the max coverage.

However I have 3x EAP245s and 1 is wall mounted, also mount these on wall all the time and never had any reason to change.    For home, small office use, cant see this being an issue

Options
2021-07-26 14:28:54
@Philbert Sorry for the late reply as I did not seem to get a notification for it. Thanks so much for the information and explanation. Ben
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 747

Replies: 6

Related Articles