VPN Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VPN Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VPN Questions
VPN Questions
2021-07-15 04:29:21 - last edited 2021-07-16 19:05:53
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Setting up a L2TP/IPsec VPN into my network and I had two questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1.  Though the instructions located here How to establish L2TP Server by SMB VPN Router using the new GUI? | TP-Link India specifically say that you can have the VPN IP Pool in the same subnet as your LAN, this does not seem to be the case.  If you try to do this you get an error that the "VPN IP pool conflicts with the IP addresses of the LAN".  I don't know if this is an issue as "Multi-Nets NAT" seems to be now built into this router (no config page)?

2.  For the life of me I can not figure out what the "Local IP Address" field is for in the VPN/Users setup??  From what I can tell you can set this to anything and the VPN client does not get assigned this number (instead gets an IP from the pool setup in question 1 above).  In fact I accidently set this number to an IP in use in my LAN and there were no issues at all?  I also tried setting up multiple Users with the same IP in this field and that seemed to be ok as well??  So what exactly is the point of this field?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN Questions-Solution
2021-07-16 07:40:25 - last edited 2021-07-16 19:05:53

@Aveamantium 

Hey, to answer your questions:

1. The FAQ you referred is not for omada gateway. You should look at this one:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3025/

On omada gateway, you can't set VPN IP Pool in the same subnet as your LAN.

2. The "local IP address" in the VPN User's setup refers to the virtual IP of the VPN Server. You can give each user its own server IP just for management. If it is moved to VPN Server sector, you will need to create different tunnels to achieve the purpose, which will waste the resources. So I think this is why they design "local IP address" under VPN user. For the parameter, you can set it as anything, but not the IP within the local DHCP IP pool, because you will have IP conflict. i.e. if you set the local IP as your printer's IP, when the remote computer want to access the printer via VPN, it doesn't know where to go because the server has the same IP as your printer.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:VPN Questions-Solution
2021-07-16 07:40:25 - last edited 2021-07-16 19:05:53

@Aveamantium 

Hey, to answer your questions:

1. The FAQ you referred is not for omada gateway. You should look at this one:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3025/

On omada gateway, you can't set VPN IP Pool in the same subnet as your LAN.

2. The "local IP address" in the VPN User's setup refers to the virtual IP of the VPN Server. You can give each user its own server IP just for management. If it is moved to VPN Server sector, you will need to create different tunnels to achieve the purpose, which will waste the resources. So I think this is why they design "local IP address" under VPN user. For the parameter, you can set it as anything, but not the IP within the local DHCP IP pool, because you will have IP conflict. i.e. if you set the local IP as your printer's IP, when the remote computer want to access the printer via VPN, it doesn't know where to go because the server has the same IP as your printer.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1453

Replies: 1

Related Articles