Switching from Hardware to Software Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-17 20:28:52

Is there a way to switch from the hardware controller to the software controller without having to take down and reset all of your devices? My hardware controller seems to be complete dead and support won't do anything about it, so as a temporary measure I want to switch to a Software Controller.

I restore a backup to the software controller but it still claims the devices are being managed by another system. I can't adopt them and take them over without some mysterious name/password the previous controller set.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Switching from Hardware to Software Controller
2021-07-19 03:13:38

Replied to other post, but i'll reply here too, to make it easier.

If you have a backup or way to access the old controller. The device password the controller uses is under Settings > Site> Device Account

If you set the same Device Account username/password on the new controller, it should be able to take over the devices.

Options
2021-07-19 04:50:39

@Larz256 Yea there is no way for me to access the previous system, it's entirely dead. I have its backup, but restoring its backup didn't allow it to take over anything, so I'm assuming the password isn't included in the backup along with a half a dozen other things I've had to reconfigure from scratch.

Options
2021-07-20 01:22:47
Odd. I have done a controller migration before which seemed to be a backup + restore under the hood & it pulled the password across. Maybe they changed it 🤷
Options
2021-07-20 03:21:49

Dear @Dillius,

Dillius wrote

I restore a backup to the software controller but it still claims the devices are being managed by another system. I can't adopt them and take them over without some mysterious name/password the previous controller set.

Generally speaking, the backup file will contain the Device Account, there might be something we overlooked.

May I know the model number and firmware version of your devices? Are you using the Omada Controller v4.3.5?

Did you restore the backup file more than one time before you notice that the devices are being managed by others?

I noticed in another post that you've contacted the support but it's far from satisfactory, if you don't mind, may I know the ticket ID(begin with TKID) so that I can forward your case to the senior engineer who can assist you efficiently?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-07-20 03:47:58

@Fae I think the confusion is that I did not know about this device password settings before I went ahead and reset the devices.

Even if it WAS in the backup, the restored copy of the Controller did not take over automatically, so you're saying I should have been able to manually enter the name and password to adopt it if I had known where to look. I understand that now, that was my mistake.

I assumed it was simply lost because a number of other items did not seem to make it across the backup-restore cycle when I moved from the Hardware controller to software, but that may be because my Hardware controller was (I believe) on 4.3.5 whereas my software controller is 4.4.3.

My support ticket is TKID210711512. I just provided them with the items you mentioned here, so it may be that they are now also looking into the warranty situation.

Options
2021-07-20 08:04:24

Dear @Dillius,

Dillius wrote

@Fae I think the confusion is that I did not know about this device password settings before I went ahead and reset the devices.

Even if it WAS in the backup, the restored copy of the Controller did not take over automatically, so you're saying I should have been able to manually enter the name and password to adopt it if I had known where to look. I understand that now, that was my mistake.

Okay, I think there is no need to forward the case to the senior engineer since we have addressed the issue now.

As for the controller not taking over the devices automatically with the backup file, I just explained in another post, and I'll paste it here in case other people have such confusion:

Because the devices were managed by Controller A (the OC200) before, they only remember and look for where Controller A is by the IP address, Controller B (the software controller) won't use its device account to automatically adopt them when devices are marked as managed by others. We need to reset the device or manually provide the device account to unbind devices from the previous controller A and adopt it in the current controller B.

If we use the migration feature to migrate the controller, the devices will discover controller B and be adopted automatically.

My support ticket is TKID210711512. I just provided them with the items you mentioned here, so it may be that they are now also looking into the warranty situation.

Glad to know there are positive signs of progress on this matter, if I can be of any further assistance here, please feel free to let me know.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 837

Replies: 6