Omada controller OC200 random disconnection from the cloud service

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-19 08:21:01 - last edited 2021-07-23 01:52:49
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.0 Build 20210406 Rel.58757 - SDN Controller v4.3.5

I have been using the OC200 controller for an year now. Apart from the first couple of weeks, I have experienced the same problem over and over: the OC200 continues to disconnect from the cloud service, which makes it non visible remotely. I have since activated the WAN message alerts, but the WAN has no problem, it is always on.

The disconnections happen very frequently, every less than 5 minutes or so. Then the reconnection happens after a couple of minutes.

I am afraid it is a problem at the TP-Link cloud service servers, but I have no means for investing that side.

The OC200 is powered through POE and it is never down.

I need support from a TP-Link staff to check with my MAC address what it can be seen at the server log side.

Thanks for anyone who could support.

Current (July 2021) firmware: 1.8.0 Build 20210406 Rel.58757 - SDN Controller v4.3.5

Options
8 Reply
Re:Omada controller OC200 random disconnection from the cloud service
2021-07-20 07:01:18 - last edited 2021-07-23 01:52:49

@MarcoF 

The offline issue for cloud website is abnormal. The issue may be located in the connection from the OC200 to the router, or just something wrong with the cloud sever of Omada.

You can connect the PC to the second port back of the OC200, and then do a continuous Ping test. Try to Ping 8.8.8.8 and Ping the LAN IP of the router. This can be found on Google.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-constantly-ping-in-a-cmd-prompt

When the OC200 is offline, is the cloud LED light still solid on or not? Also, try to monitor when the OC200 is offline on the cloud, can the PC still have internet when connecting to the second port of  OC200, and what is the IP address of the PC?

Options
2021-07-20 08:33:12 - last edited 2021-07-23 01:52:49

@John1234 thanks a lot for your feedback.

At the moment I am not at the site, but I can tell you that I am able to access the OC200 with no interruptions from the remote access of the router.

I have access to the OC200 as I was there, using the OC200 web interface.

What I notice, is that I can see when the OC200 goes offline and online, from the cloud access control.

It means that the OC200 stays connected to the router (which in turn is continuously connected to the Internet, otherwise I would lose access to it from remote).

When I was on the site to observe the problem, the cloud led of the OC200 turns on and off according to the status of the cloud access I can see on the web interface.

Not sure about the test to connect the laptop to the second port of the OC200. if the scope is about testing internet connection during cloud access off, well, this is already proved by the remote access I have described above Anyway, no other devices in the network disconnect, and the WiFi network inside the premises provided by the EAPS continue to work flawlessly.

Anyway, just to be double sure, from the CLI interface of the router I have pinged the OC200 while monitoring its could access status from the app and the web interface.: the ping goes on with no interruptions regardless of the cloud access status. So the OC200 is alive, always on, connected the the LAN, the LAN is connected to the WAN, but the OC200 is not on the cloud.

So, I am kind of thinking TP-Link should really check what is going on at the server side, and why my OC200 gets disconnected. With the MAC address of the OC200 this should be possible.

Or, if you have any other suggestions.....thanks.

Cheers.

Options
2021-07-22 06:33:37 - last edited 2021-07-23 01:52:49

Dear @MarcoF,

MarcoF wrote

I have been using the OC200 controller for an year now. Apart from the first couple of weeks, I have experienced the same problem over and over: the OC200 continues to disconnect from the cloud service, which makes it non visible remotely. I have since activated the WAN message alerts, but the WAN has no problem, it is always on.

The disconnections happen very frequently, every less than 5 minutes or so. Then the reconnection happens after a couple of minutes.

I am afraid it is a problem at the TP-Link cloud service servers, but I have no means for investing that side.

Do you notice the controller offline message through the Omada App? May I know your Omada App version, like v3.3.2, Android 10?

Please provide the MAC address and S/N of your OC200 (you can message me the info if you don't want to reply here).

It would be helpful if you can also tell the time when the OC200 is offline, thank you in advance for your cooperation!

BTW, there was another forum user reporting a similar issue before, and it's found to have something to do with the coaxial Dual-Stack connection, see this post. It's also suggested to check the Internet connection type and confirm it with your ISP.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-07-26 16:04:25

@Fae thanks for your feedback.

When the OC200 goes offline, I f=do receive a notification on the app.

For the rest, I have contacted you through a direct message, and provided all details about the hardware and software.

Kind regards,

Marco

Options
2021-10-28 12:44:35

@MarcoF 

Any resolution on this? I have the exact same issue, which brought me to this forum. I typically don't lose internal LAN when this happens, but I have 2 Site-to-Site VPN connections that always drop. Not a huge issue for me at home but it would cause me to not deploy it in a business environment.

Options
2021-11-25 03:31:44

@MarcoF 

I've also experienced Cloud Access failures, Internet drops out randomly across the Mesh since the latest firmware update 2 months back.  I've replaced the OC200 controller, found time service is broken, I disabled Cloud Access for the past month which improved reliability. 

Now I need to resolve the dropouts yet the support times out all the time, just spent 5 hours on Chat, on voice support which also dropped out, so frustrating.

This Omada Product is not Business Grade, Omada Support is not Business Grade so I guess it's experimental at this stage.  Living on the "Bleeding Edge" is not Business Grade either so I'll probably throw it out and start again with Ubiquity.  At least they have real support! 

Options
2021-11-25 18:48:17

@DCSQLD63 apparently the only explanation I have found in this forum is about the issue of the dual stacking used by ISPs. You can see the thread here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/264462

The only practical suggestion I can draw from that post is to verity with your ISP if they use the dual stacking for managing the IPv4 and the IPv6 transactions.

I have asked TP-LINK to verify the OC200 disconnections from their side, but got no feedback so far.

Best of luck to you.

Options
2021-11-25 19:38:13

@MarcoF 

That is so incredibly helpful, thank you so much! I'll be following up with my ISP (Spectrum). I'll let you know what the result is. Happy Thanksgiving!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3455

Replies: 8