OC200/ER605 - ISP Load Graphs/Results - What is it testing?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-22 02:24:23 - last edited 2022-08-12 04:08:06

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the Omada range and I've tried searching this query before from previous threads however I haven't really found the answer that I am looking for.

I'm wondering how the ISP Load Graphs are being calculated? And if this is doing a periodic ping to a specific server (and if that can be changed).

• As you can see below in the first screen grab Latency is off the charts, but the second screenshot latency isn't an issue. Nor is there any Latency issues of any kind.

First Screengrab.

Second Screengrab.

Cheers!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OC200/ER605 - ISP Load Graphs/Results - What is it testing?-Solution
2021-08-20 11:51:10 - last edited 2021-08-24 22:30:53

@drthslyr 

Hey

What you are looking at in the first and second images are totally different things and cant be compared.

First Image..

This is the ISP load for the last 24 hours, basically how much data you have pulled through the WAN at what appear to be 5 min intervals, along with the associated latency at the time..

The spike i have marked in RED for example.  During that 5 min window, you downloaded what appears to be 50mb, the latency on that time averaged around 20ms (the yellow line)

The section I have marked in BLACK.. well you are not using the WAN and didn't download much (background traffic) and the latency was slightly higher at around 25/30ms

These are recorded from the Gateway Router : TL-R605 or whatever you have and are in realtime from the traffic logs.

Second Image..

This doesnt show real time traffic / usage stats.. rather the speed of your line at a specific interval.  This is usually every 24 hours or so

Lets assume the speed test runs at midnight every day.   Your WAN speed is a solid 110 down, 22 up which is marked in yellow.. this hasn't changed at all and seems consistent. 

However the latency specifically on the 20 July, at the time the test ran (midnight) was noticeably higher than other days.  Usually, it averages around 6ms, that one day it averaged 32

However.. don't compare this latency to the one from the first graph.  The second one is a specific speed test to one specific site (speedtest.net if I remember) at a non peak time, its not going to give you the honest truth about this.. 

The first graph is real time over 24 hour and is your real latency..  speed tests are never accurate and one test per day to one site isn't a good metric.   For example connections to amazon or speedtest are always going to be quicker than general surfing of 123abc.company website due to the infrastructure in place.

Summary.. 

1st graph  data you have used per 5/10 min and the latency at the time .. reliable

2nd graphs   the speed test on your line to determine the average speed, this is only used to populate the gateway utilization report (purely informational).   It runs periodic speed tests to know what your line is capable of and therefore work out what percentage to show.    The latency it records is not accurate for real use

If it didn't do that your line would be reading 100% capacity all the time (when its likely not)

I hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:OC200/ER605 - ISP Load Graphs/Results - What is it testing?
2021-08-20 10:47:11
bump
Options
Re:OC200/ER605 - ISP Load Graphs/Results - What is it testing?-Solution
2021-08-20 11:51:10 - last edited 2021-08-24 22:30:53

@drthslyr 

Hey

What you are looking at in the first and second images are totally different things and cant be compared.

First Image..

This is the ISP load for the last 24 hours, basically how much data you have pulled through the WAN at what appear to be 5 min intervals, along with the associated latency at the time..

The spike i have marked in RED for example.  During that 5 min window, you downloaded what appears to be 50mb, the latency on that time averaged around 20ms (the yellow line)

The section I have marked in BLACK.. well you are not using the WAN and didn't download much (background traffic) and the latency was slightly higher at around 25/30ms

These are recorded from the Gateway Router : TL-R605 or whatever you have and are in realtime from the traffic logs.

Second Image..

This doesnt show real time traffic / usage stats.. rather the speed of your line at a specific interval.  This is usually every 24 hours or so

Lets assume the speed test runs at midnight every day.   Your WAN speed is a solid 110 down, 22 up which is marked in yellow.. this hasn't changed at all and seems consistent. 

However the latency specifically on the 20 July, at the time the test ran (midnight) was noticeably higher than other days.  Usually, it averages around 6ms, that one day it averaged 32

However.. don't compare this latency to the one from the first graph.  The second one is a specific speed test to one specific site (speedtest.net if I remember) at a non peak time, its not going to give you the honest truth about this.. 

The first graph is real time over 24 hour and is your real latency..  speed tests are never accurate and one test per day to one site isn't a good metric.   For example connections to amazon or speedtest are always going to be quicker than general surfing of 123abc.company website due to the infrastructure in place.

Summary.. 

1st graph  data you have used per 5/10 min and the latency at the time .. reliable

2nd graphs   the speed test on your line to determine the average speed, this is only used to populate the gateway utilization report (purely informational).   It runs periodic speed tests to know what your line is capable of and therefore work out what percentage to show.    The latency it records is not accurate for real use

If it didn't do that your line would be reading 100% capacity all the time (when its likely not)

I hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:OC200/ER605 - ISP Load Graphs/Results - What is it testing?
2021-08-24 22:30:45

@Philbert 

Thanks heaps for this detailed explaination!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1897

Replies: 3