unable to assign static dhcp from outside the DHCP reservation range.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-25 18:56:19
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

There are devices i have that are considered fixed, that i allocate address from outside of the DHCP range for guest.  This is currently not possible with the controller.  When moving to the omada sdn platform in the lab, the lack of this functionality eventually brought down the network and i had to manually go in and reassign addresses and update cofigurations.  These are things that i would like to avoid as i migrate sites to the omada ecosystem

Options
2 Reply
Re:unable to assign static dhcp from outside the DHCP reservation range.
2021-08-03 09:46:56

@akp55 Do you mean that you want the guest devices connecting to the Omada network and also obtain the IP address out of the DHCP range that you set up on the Controller? If I didn't misunderstand, all the clients are supposed to get the IP address from the DHCP range which was configured on the controller.

Options
Re:unable to assign static dhcp from outside the DHCP reservation range.
2021-08-04 08:35:33 - last edited 2021-08-04 09:19:59

@akp55 

Okay. I am not super sure about your description. I just read your description and interpret myself and tried this.

I tried this on my own Omada. 

ER605---Omada Switch------EAP225+OD+235Wall

|

OC200

I am connected to the EAP225. LAN DHCP 192.168.10.1-192.168.10.200

Fix all Apple devices to 10.210, 10.220, and 10.230. Subnet 255.255.255.0. Gateway 192.168.10.1 DNS auto

Guess what!? All of my devices failed to connect. 

HOWEVER. Test ping tools on iPhone. Turn off cellular. It does not show the WiFi bar on the phone. I cannot access any website. Cannot ping 8.8.8.8. But, I can ping 192.168.10.1

Meaning I am connected. But, no Internet. 

If I fix DNS to gateway IP, nothing changes.

Test on Android. Fix 192.168.10.205 > IT WORKS. Get an INTERNET connection.

IS THIS APPLE'S FAULT? iOS 14.6

I don't know why... Visual bug? Bug on iOS? This seems to be something wrong. Theoretically, it should work on iPhone. Even you are not using an IP in the DHCP range. With 255.255.255.0, as long as you are in 10.1-254, you should get Internet. 

Address reservation is not avail on this version. BUT, according to the search, it's on the roadmap. Forum link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Update--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple... I test this again. You need to fill out the DNS. When you use static IP, you need manually fill out the DNS too. Fill out DNS+Gateway+Subnet+IP. You can get Internet. This static IP is used by a device. Kind of reservation.. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 748

Replies: 2