Omada - Displayed Statistics query/question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-29 08:29:35 - last edited 2021-07-29 10:18:54
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 4.3.5

Morning all

Quick question as I am new to the Omada range.

My setup consists on 1 x OC200, 1 POE switch and 2 x EAP225 (only one currently installed) and is in my home.

I set up the controller last night and things seem to be working all ok but looking at the statistics it shows the following .

Is it normal to see all these dropped packets and errors ?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada - Displayed Statistics query/question-Solution
2021-07-29 08:49:25 - last edited 2021-07-29 10:18:54

@Benje 

Hey Ben

Yeah this is perfectly normal and will happen on all forms of WiFi communication. 

It could be due to a number of factors including, but not limited to...

1. Interference from Non Wifi (Radar etc)
  2. Interference from another WiFi on same channel
  3. Refraction of the signal
  4. Delay in the signal at reciever
  5. 2 or more devices trying to transmit at once and collision

Basically a LOT.. on most home grade hardware you wont even know it happening and it likely wont be logged at all, Omada being business grade does log this and alert you too it.

Generally this will happen and nothing you can do to stop it.  However the volume of packets you are seeing dropped (585) I wouldn't even bother investigating it!    Its accepted that anything below 20% drop / retry rate is GOOD, when you pass 30% it could be improved, at 40%+ you should be investigating, at a guess you are 5% tops and nothing to worry about.  There is a graph on the controller you can add to show this (below)

If it is an issue, try changing channels

I live in an area where there is just 6 houses, however everyone is on channels 36-48 and therefore when on those channels the rate is around 25%, not awful.. not brilliant either!    When I switch to 104 / 108 DFS channel this drops to virtually nothing (-5%) as there is only me there :)

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada - Displayed Statistics query/question-Solution
2021-07-29 08:49:25 - last edited 2021-07-29 10:18:54

@Benje 

Hey Ben

Yeah this is perfectly normal and will happen on all forms of WiFi communication. 

It could be due to a number of factors including, but not limited to...

1. Interference from Non Wifi (Radar etc)
  2. Interference from another WiFi on same channel
  3. Refraction of the signal
  4. Delay in the signal at reciever
  5. 2 or more devices trying to transmit at once and collision

Basically a LOT.. on most home grade hardware you wont even know it happening and it likely wont be logged at all, Omada being business grade does log this and alert you too it.

Generally this will happen and nothing you can do to stop it.  However the volume of packets you are seeing dropped (585) I wouldn't even bother investigating it!    Its accepted that anything below 20% drop / retry rate is GOOD, when you pass 30% it could be improved, at 40%+ you should be investigating, at a guess you are 5% tops and nothing to worry about.  There is a graph on the controller you can add to show this (below)

If it is an issue, try changing channels

I live in an area where there is just 6 houses, however everyone is on channels 36-48 and therefore when on those channels the rate is around 25%, not awful.. not brilliant either!    When I switch to 104 / 108 DFS channel this drops to virtually nothing (-5%) as there is only me there :)

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada - Displayed Statistics query/question
2021-07-29 09:17:57 - last edited 2021-07-29 09:19:11

@Benje 

I should probably add, in relation to the graph below

Drop rate and Retry rate are generally bundled together in the same area.   Errors are bad packets that need reset and this will happen, there is no way to avoid it..  drop is where the packet is abandoned and resent, this is usually TX from the AP (AP sending to client) as the client doesnt respond to the packet being sent in the appropriate time. 

As experience goes, once Errors increase, Drop rate increases and vice versa.. they go pretty much hand in hand.   You could try changing channels for a bit and see if that helps, again if you are getting 585 drops on 100k+ packets then its not a real concern, of course ideally this should be as close to 0 as possible!

Options
2021-07-29 10:22:29

@Philbert 

Great and thanks again !

I have now added it and it shows as below

At the moment I am still broadcasting my ISPs wifi as well so that probably does not help.

Once I have set up the 2nd AP (I have managed to run a cable from my POE switch again like you mentioned in my other thread) I will set up a range on new SSIDs and probably turn the ISPs ones off.

Thanks

Ben 

Options
2021-07-29 10:35:26

@Philbert 

Just realised the one above was retried rate  - this is rhw dropped one

Options
2021-07-29 10:58:06

@Benje 

Hey again

In that case you are 100% fine, totally within acceptable and normal parameters :)

That is as close to 0 as you are going to get, honestly don't think you need to do any changes here.   Welcome to the world of business WiFi!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 648

Replies: 5