Clients only connecting to 1 AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-06 22:38:21
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I am sure this issue has been covered but cannot find anything on it.

I've had EAP235 on the upstairs floor for a little over a year now. No issues at all. The last year I've built out my basement and added a EAP225 for better coverage today. All went well with set up and I've adopted the AP to same network. 

My issue is that all clients connect to the original upstairs AP and none to the new AP in the basement. I've changed the power settings to low for 2.4 radio and medium for the 5.0 radio.  No matter how close I get to the new AP - nothing. Guessing I have to teal the RSS next ?

Since the new AP is adopted to same network - it should show the clients connected to it, correct? 

Any help and insight is appreciated 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Clients only connecting to 1 AP
2021-08-06 22:59:25

@Coltean 

Hey

Im guessing when you say you have adopted the AP, then you are running a controller?

If so have you enabled Fast Roaming and AI Roaming?   Without this enabled you are leaving the roaming to the device, and they tend to be awful at at.   Enabling fast roaming and AI roaming should force this to move across when a better AP is available.

I would also recommend dual band 11k report, this way it can roam 2.4 to 5ghz at the same time..

Options
2021-08-06 23:02:11
Hey, Yes I am running a software controller on my server. I’ll give those settings a try and see how it does. I appreciate the prompt response ! Cos
Options
2021-08-06 23:05:00

@Coltean 

No worries and welcome

Yeah hopefully that is all that is required, keep us posted on how you get on

Check the logs once you have it enabled and look for roaming events similar to below

Options
2021-08-07 02:50:53

@Philbert 

I managed to find most of the settings you described. I guess some of the settings may be obsolete or hidden away in the new UI. The BasementAP is still not reporting any clients. 

I went ahead and turned off both radios on the upstairs AP. The connected clients dropped to 0 as expected. The basement AP remained at 0 clients as well, but most of my devices seemed to have jumped on with network access - but no clients reporting in the controller.

Not sure if this is designed to worked this way or I may be missing a set up step. 

Options
2021-08-08 12:34:23

@Coltean 

Hey

Sorry for the slow reply

I think I see your issue here!    The version of the controller you are running is SDN v3   -   This is no longer supported and you should update to SDNv4.  It is likely the AP is actually working ok, but as its not supported on that controller one of the symptoms is no stats available, exactly what you have

So the AP in the basement, you can try clicking the UP arrow under actions to see if you can get this to firmware 2.4 the same as the other one.

However.. a better option is to just update to v4 SDN, its a bit of work but worth it..    are you running a Software Controller or an OC200/300?

backup the controller first!

If OC then download the latest firmware for that from the TP Link Support site and manually upgrade the controller (this wont auto update as its a major change)

Firmware you are looking for it   OC200(UN)_V1_1.8.0 Build 20210406

If Software.. do the same for it, but use the latest software version.

This link below might help you more

https://static.tp-link.com/Omada%20Controller%20Upgrade%20Guide_20200615.pdf

Once you are on V4 of the controller, restore the config then I strongly advise you check for updates on the APs, they should be running firmware 5.0.x    firmware 2.x is really old now

Options
2021-08-08 12:56:47

@Philbert 

Hello!

I am running software controller on my NAS. I didn't even think about the version and firmwares. It does make 100% sense on what you are saying and I think that may be the issue thinking about it. I'll give it a shot later today and get everything up to date.

I really appreciate your time and help on this!

Will report back once I get this done 

Options
2021-08-09 01:52:16
@Philbert Hey! You were spot on! I didnt realize I disabled my update tag on my docker Omada Controler Image and was stuck on V3. Managed to launch V4.4 and booted a new image. I decided to start fresh and adopt all the AP's to the new controler. All works beautifully now - clients roam as they should between the two APs. Rookie mistake on my part - I do appreciate the insight and help on this.
Options