Omada EAPs using same SSIDs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-09 08:35:59
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a question about running the same SSIDs on all Omada EAPs. Currently, they each have their own SSID. I understand that they would need to be on different channels, but that the Omada controller can manage this. I have two EAPs coming off my main switch, and three off a secondary switch - all are connected with cable. Will the controller be able to control all of the EAPs, even though three are on another switch? I'm not able to run them all from one switch, I've mostly run my own cable during a partial refurb of the house but wasn't able to run all that I wanted, so had to utilise some that had been run by the previous owner. 

Many thanks

Luke

Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada EAPs using same SSIDs
2021-08-09 09:35:41

@lukestkd ]

Hey

The short answer is YES, the controller doesnt really care what Switches you have in place.   As long as the controller is able to talk to the APs it should be fine

In terms of a single SSID, again once the controller is online and you set the SSID on the controller, any adopted APs will start to broadcast this for you.  In terms of channels, generally, most people just leave the controller to handle this, it will scan and select the best channel for you and it works reasonably well in practice.

My only concern would be the mix of APs you have, namely some new 225s and some older 110s.    Just double check that all your hardware versions are supported before going the controller route.  Checking the controller firmware page will tell you what hardware versions are supported, currently the latest version of SDN is v4.4

Options
2021-08-09 10:31:16

@Philbert thanks for the quick and really clear reply.

Having looked I have these fireware

115 = 20200113

110 = 20200113

115 Outdoor = 20190301

225 Outdoor = 20210520

Looking at the list you provided I don't think the 115 outdoor or 115/110 indoors are compatible?

Options
2021-08-09 11:07:33

@lukestkd 

Its not the firmware par say, rather the hardware model.  

Beside the serial on the 110 / 115 there should be a hardware version v1 v2 v3 etc   check what they are and if needed updated the firmware on them

Options
2021-08-09 11:34:25

@Philbert oh that's great. I've checked and all the version numbers match the compatibility list 👍🏻 I'll get the controller then and get set up.

Is it better to reset all the EAPs once the controller is connected to the network?

Options
2021-08-09 11:40:03

@lukestkd 

As long as you know the local login for each, then you shouldn't need to reset them when adopting.  However personally, I would

I would also download the latest firmware for each and update them before adopting.   You should be fine  :)

Options
2021-08-17 05:20:44

@lukestkd 

i have 17 245eap i want to configure with single ssid so that host can join one device and move freely and join other devices automatically, can you help?

Options
2021-08-17 12:27:54

@ashiyana 

Hey

To do this you will need the 245s connected to a switch (or switches) all sharing the same subnet / network.   What is your current setup?

If you have this in place then purchase an OC200 controller and set this up on the same network.  Log into and configure the OC200 as you feel necessary and start adopting the 17 APs. 

In settings on the controller, enabled FAST ROAMING    and   AI ROAMING.   this will allow you move from AP to AP without disconnecting.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1153

Replies: 7

Related Articles