Creating a "mesh" WiFi network via hardwired cables

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-10 18:58:41 - last edited 2021-08-11 15:26:06
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

I am trying to figure out how to reconfigure my existing WiFi network such that I can move between my house, my barn, and my garage without having to keep disconnecting and reconnecting to different SSID names. These three structures are all connected by 1Gb cable, and currently, I have my tp-link Archer A7 in the house directly wired to separate access points in each remote structure, each with a different SSID. The structures are each maybe 200' or 300' from the house, but in different directions.  I tried a WiFi extender in the barn once, but it wouldn't stay connected to the router in the house, since the signal from the house was very weak in the barn.

A) Is it possible to just use the same SSID for all three WiFi areas, so that when I walk from the house to the barn, my phone will stay connected and automatically switch to the closest (strongest) network?  If so, what are the rules for setting this up (same or different channels, etc.)?  Is this the best way, or not a good idea?

B) If I decided to go with the new Mesh technology, does that even work for my situation where the two remote mesh devices would have to be connected via cables to the main router instead of wirelessly?  Is this a better solution than Option A) above, or are they equivalent?  I realize I would need to replace my main router with one that supports Mesh, since my A7 apparently does not, and also buy new Mesh access points to do this. Would I need a certain type of remote Mesh device to use the cable from the main router?

Is there another solution that would be better for this situation?

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Creating a "mesh" WiFi network via hardwired cables-Solution
2021-08-10 19:57:31 - last edited 2021-08-11 15:26:06

@Rick108 

Archer A7 v5 supports OneMesh, but OneMesh doesn't support an ethernet backhaul - Q5/A5.

In your case an ethernet backhaul for a mesh network can be used by a Deco system.

As for the same SSIDs on both APs and the A7 router - it won't make any difference - there's no point doing that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Creating a "mesh" WiFi network via hardwired cables-Solution
2021-08-10 19:57:31 - last edited 2021-08-11 15:26:06

@Rick108 

Archer A7 v5 supports OneMesh, but OneMesh doesn't support an ethernet backhaul - Q5/A5.

In your case an ethernet backhaul for a mesh network can be used by a Deco system.

As for the same SSIDs on both APs and the A7 router - it won't make any difference - there's no point doing that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Creating a "mesh" WiFi network via hardwired cables
2021-08-11 12:20:46

@terziyski 

Thanks for the information.  It sounds like my only solution would be to buy a new router and some Deco devices... do you agree?

One last question.  In looking at the resources you pointed me to, I see there is something called a "PowerLine" device that supports OneMesh from my Archer A7. It looks like it uses the 120v wiring for ... something?  By chance, is it used to connect between the router and the repeater, and if so, could this possibly work for my application?  How well does this work?

Options
2021-08-11 15:15:30 - last edited 2021-08-11 15:15:47

@Rick108 

Actually you don't have to buy a new router, you may continue to use the A7 (with Wi-Fi disabled) and buy 3pcs Deco system.

Then connect and set the Deco system in AP mode.

PowerLine adapters are used to transfer data across your power grid when you don't have the ability to wire the devices with an ethernet cable.

The only requirement is the powerline adapters to be connected to the same electrical circuit.

Ethernet backhaul is always better than wireless one - more stable and more bandwidth.

Options
2021-08-11 15:33:52

@terziyski 

This is perfect - now I won't have to reprogram all my port forwarding, etc into a new router again.  It looks like the A7 has more robust router capability than the Deco (I'm looking at the X20) so this gives me the best of both worlds!

Thanks for all the help - this forum rocks!

Options