What Omada gear would you recommend to make the best network system possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-17 03:26:41 - last edited 2021-08-17 04:46:34

I am using an Omada switch TL-SG3428MP for a new network setup, and may want to purchase the TP-Link ER605 router. I don't know how good it is, so if anyone has any insight on the 605, I would appreciate it. 

My next question is, is the controller OC300 something that would be needed? Or do I need the OC300?  I don't like that the OC200 is only 10/100, but will that it is only 10/100 affect anything?.  Any info on this?

Update: After watching multiple videos, it looks like the Omada software will let me control my equipment off site.  Is that correct, or did I misunderstand?  It also looks like I don't need the actual OC200 to do this off site either.  Is that correct? 

I would like to know what people think of the ER605 router?  How does it compare to an Asus 86U or something like that?  Other than it is not wireless until you add the APs.

Options
6 Reply
Re:What Omada gear would you recommend to make the best network system possible?
2021-08-17 10:13:07

@ingeborgdot please be aware that the router is not a switch, so you can't setup switching across the lan ports, you'll need a switch (which you have).

Options
Re:What Omada gear would you recommend to make the best network system possible?
2021-08-17 11:14:07

@Hertog_Jan I guess I don't understand what you are saying? I know about switching, but my router will be just that, right? I might be misunderstanding your point.  Please, if you don't mind, explain a little in more depth.  Thanks.

Options
2021-08-17 11:17:33

@ingeborgdot 

Hey

Hopefully should be able to answer some of the questions for you

I don't know how good it is, so if anyone has any insight on the 605, I would appreciate it.

Ive been using the 605 since around Dec2020 when it was released, so far had no issues.  It seems solid, no-hassle handling the 1gbps connection and VLANs terminate, work ok.    Not really sure what you are looking for but so far OK

My next question is, is the controller OC300 something that would be needed? Or do I need the OC300?  I don't like that the OC200 is only 10/100, but will that it is only 10/100 affect anything?.  Any info on this?

You don't specifically need a controller (Software, OC200 or OC300) but its HIGHLY recommended.   The Omada solution is built as an ecosystem with management from the controller, at present and going forward there is a lot of features that require a controller online.   Fast Roaming, Mesh, AI Roaming, Portal access etc to mention a few.    If you are setting up a full omada system, honestly don't skip the controller.  

In terms of LAN ports.. don't worry about it.  The OC200 would easily handle 50+ APs, the OC300 is for 100 or more APs.   The LAN traffic is just the odd management packet to the devices for management and configuration, nothing major traffic-wise goes through the controller, therefore the LAN speed is irrelevant. 

The OC200 should be fine for 90% of users, my largest site has 18 APs and 3 switches, the OC200 handles them fine.

Update: After watching multiple videos, it looks like the Omada software will let me control my equipment off site.  Is that correct, or did I misunderstand?  It also looks like I don't need the actual OC200 to do this off site either.  Is that correct? 

Yes you can indeed, provided you have a central controller somewhere (hosted on a server for example) and the VPN / Connection links between that server and the network you wish to manage.   But honestly, unless you are going to manage dozens of sites remotely there is no real advantage to this.   The OC200 is around €65 so its cheap enough to have one onsite and not require remote connections.

I would like to know what people think of the ER605 router?  How does it compare to an Asus 86U or something like that?  Other than it is not wireless until you add the APs.

Comparing the 605 to an Asus 86U is not a good idea, its like comparing a Fait 500 to a Jeep Wrangler.  You have to bear in mind that they are designed for very different markets.   The 605 is a business grade device and therefore has different features to suit that market

For example, the 605 would have a better firewall config, higher capacity throughput, VLAN support and longer warranty..   however would lack Antivirus support, Gaming QOS etc etc.. stuff designed for home use.   

The 605 is also designed to be managed by the controller and talk to the other devices in the SDN, the Asus would be standalone in everything it does.

Options
2021-08-17 11:25:38

@Philbert So, when you say, have an OC200 onsite, what are you meaning for onsite? Sorry for the ignorance.  Are you meaning at my home to remotely control it, or at the site of the system?  There will be 2 sites I will be monitoring.

Options
2021-08-17 12:24:37

@ingeborgdot 

If you have 2 sites you need to monitor, then I would have an OC200 at each site.   Cloud enable the OC200s and then you can just admin them remotely from one standard cloud account, use one cloud account for both sites

When you log into   https://omada.tplinkcloud.com/    you should see the 2x OC200s and therefore you can admin both sites from home.

The other option is to have the OC200 located at your home address, then have VPN links to the two remote sites.  However that would need your home VPN on 24/7 as if this dropped out you have lost management of the sites.   Also likely require you to have 3x 605 routers and set up site to site vpns..  Basically a single OC200 running 2x sites

This might be an option for you, but honestly.. if you have just 2 sites then the effort to set up a server, ensure the lines are up 25/7, VPN links and all from home is likely overkill!   Just stick a OC200 in each site and manage them from the cloud.

Options
2021-08-17 12:33:22

@Philbert Thanks.  That seems like an easy fix.  That would be no problem at all to have 1 at each site. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 698

Replies: 6

Related Articles