WDS EAP110

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WDS EAP110

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WDS EAP110
WDS EAP110
2021-08-21 07:14:04 - last edited 2021-08-21 09:39:47
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5.0.2

Hi,

I bridged my tp-link router (R1) to the voucher portal (omada running on my pc) using wds.

It basically works: Clients get redirected to the portal/enter a voucher to use the web and the voucher expires and the web connection is lost.

DHCP is disabled in R1 - and the clients get their IP from the ISP router the EAP110 is wired up to

What's not really working as I expected is the admin side on Omada Controller...

When I look at Omada Controller  - Clients View: Only R1 appears as connected...

Clients connected through R1 are not visible but from Hotspot Manager I can see the voucher used and the Disconnection function works too.

When I look at the Device EAP110 - Client View: the only Client I see is the R1

Is there some way I can tweak things so as R1 doesn't show as connected/pending BUT the underlying clients attached to R1 DO show up in the Client and Insight views on Omada Controller?

PS.

Just noticed when I trace the events through the Omada log that no "Client" is being created when the voucher is athorised via R1

When an unauthorised user passes nearby a "Client" or temporary client is created before they attempt to sign in to the portal...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WDS EAP110-Solution
2021-08-21 09:11:41 - last edited 2021-08-21 09:39:47

@Bebe1980 

Hey

Being perfectly honest, this doesnt come as any surprise that the clients connected to the WDS side are not showing, I have experienced this a few times with other vendors

Its sadly one of the shortfalls of using WDS, in that the WDS client acts as a middle man in terms of packet redirection and therefore only reads as one client, its how the packets are manipulated by the WDS system

Let take a DHCP request for example, WDS will take the incoming request for the client and re-encapsuate it to forward to the main router.  When this re-encapsualtion happens it changes the target MAC address to the WDS client and not the original sender.

Therefore when the reply for DHCP is sent its send to the WDS.  The WDS then re-encapsulates it again with the details of the original requester.

Therefore.. technically everything that is coming from the WDS is addressed to the WDS and not the actual recipient.   Sadly that means most routers, SDN and Logs will only see the WDS as one, rather busy client.       Its a bit like a delivery address for   Mr A Smith, 123 Main Street, this could be a single house for Mr Smith, or he could just be one resident in a tower block.. either way its one address.

If this is an issue for you, it may be better to get a second EAP and remove the WDS in favor of a MESH (wireless adopted) setup.   This would remove that issue as all EAPs are sharing all client info

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:WDS EAP110-Solution
2021-08-21 09:11:41 - last edited 2021-08-21 09:39:47

@Bebe1980 

Hey

Being perfectly honest, this doesnt come as any surprise that the clients connected to the WDS side are not showing, I have experienced this a few times with other vendors

Its sadly one of the shortfalls of using WDS, in that the WDS client acts as a middle man in terms of packet redirection and therefore only reads as one client, its how the packets are manipulated by the WDS system

Let take a DHCP request for example, WDS will take the incoming request for the client and re-encapsuate it to forward to the main router.  When this re-encapsualtion happens it changes the target MAC address to the WDS client and not the original sender.

Therefore when the reply for DHCP is sent its send to the WDS.  The WDS then re-encapsulates it again with the details of the original requester.

Therefore.. technically everything that is coming from the WDS is addressed to the WDS and not the actual recipient.   Sadly that means most routers, SDN and Logs will only see the WDS as one, rather busy client.       Its a bit like a delivery address for   Mr A Smith, 123 Main Street, this could be a single house for Mr Smith, or he could just be one resident in a tower block.. either way its one address.

If this is an issue for you, it may be better to get a second EAP and remove the WDS in favor of a MESH (wireless adopted) setup.   This would remove that issue as all EAPs are sharing all client info

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:WDS EAP110
2021-08-21 09:39:30

@Philbert 

Thanks for explaining it - I understand.

It's a bit odd because it looks like the first connection works in the sense it displays client information... but subsequent logins don't generate a new client

Just trying to save myself some money... you're probably right much easier to go and buy another eap!

Options
Re:WDS EAP110
2021-08-21 09:43:30

@Bebe1980 

Technically a DHCP request will have the MAC of the sender located in the packet and that's likely where the Controller is reading it from, however once the lease is issued all traffic goes though the WDS so its a one off thing.

Honestly, moving to another EAP as you said is the best option for you :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 733

Replies: 3