Multiple routers as AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Multiple routers as AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Multiple routers as AP
Multiple routers as AP
2021-08-23 13:57:13 - last edited 2021-08-23 19:54:51
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased an AX1500 for home use and I am quite pleased.

So, since I also need to update the wifi at our church, I plan to go with TP-link again.

Current situation:

• This is an old building, with thick stone walls in some areas
  • We have two aging wifi routers (10 yrs ish) that mostly cover the building, with some dead spots.
  • These are configured as two separate networks, different IDs and passwords.
  • We have ethernet available throughout.

My plan:

• Replace the old routers with 2 or 3 new TP-Link routers
  • Configure one to be the DHCP host and the other(s) as APs.
  • The APs would be connected to the 1st one via Ethernet cable
  • Use a higher-capacity router as the first one; it is where most of the users would likely connect

Equipment thoughts:

• Use the AX50/AX3000 or AX73/AX5400 for the primary router
  • Use 1 or 2 AX1500/1750 routers as the 2nd & 3rd

Questions:

• If the two old routers "mostly" cover the building, are todays routers sufficiently advanced that I might not need a third?
  • Do the 6 antennas on the AX73 extend range significatnly as compared to the AX50 with 4?
  • Does anyone see any issues with my plan?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multiple routers as AP-Solution
2021-08-23 17:18:16 - last edited 2021-08-23 19:54:51

@terziyski 

Thanks for the quick reply!

Reading it, I realized I left out some information.

Ideally, we would like seamless wifi. I had considered mesh, but since we have ethernet throughout, I wanted to take advantage of that rather than depend on the mesh APs connecting wirelessly to the main mesh router. So, I was planning on setting up all 3 routers with the same SSID and password, like a psuedo-mesh system. Would that work OK, or is mesh really the answer if I want the wifi to be seamless?

Looking further into the mesh options, it looks like I can hook up the deco units to ethernet and take advantage of the direct connection, by using the ethernet backhaul feature. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, I'm now re-thinking the plan and considering a 3-pack of the Deco X60 - it could be the perfect solution.

Based on some other posts I have read, it seems not all switches support this feature well. Do you know if Netgear unmanaged switches work OK for the ethernet backhaul? I have a couple of those. If not, I may buy a TP-Link switch, too.

Based on where my cable runs are, I could use either the second or third examples below.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Multiple routers as AP
2021-08-23 16:08:03

@S_Zephyr 

• If the two old routers "mostly" cover the building, are todays routers sufficiently advanced that I might not need a third?

It's quite possible to cover the dead spots with more recent devices like AX50/3000 as main router and AX20/1800 as an AP.

If still there's a dead spot you can add an additional AX20/1800 or AX10/1500 as an AP.

• Do the 6 antennas on the AX73 extend range significatnly as compared to the AX50 with 4?

I believe that AX50/3000 would be sufficient as a main router.

• Does anyone see any issues with my plan?

Your plan sounds quite reasonable - AX standard offers more user capacity and more coverage.

Of course that's a budget solution and there is more expensive one, like implementing a Deco system - a real mesh network if you need such.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Multiple routers as AP-Solution
2021-08-23 17:18:16 - last edited 2021-08-23 19:54:51

@terziyski 

Thanks for the quick reply!

Reading it, I realized I left out some information.

Ideally, we would like seamless wifi. I had considered mesh, but since we have ethernet throughout, I wanted to take advantage of that rather than depend on the mesh APs connecting wirelessly to the main mesh router. So, I was planning on setting up all 3 routers with the same SSID and password, like a psuedo-mesh system. Would that work OK, or is mesh really the answer if I want the wifi to be seamless?

Looking further into the mesh options, it looks like I can hook up the deco units to ethernet and take advantage of the direct connection, by using the ethernet backhaul feature. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, I'm now re-thinking the plan and considering a 3-pack of the Deco X60 - it could be the perfect solution.

Based on some other posts I have read, it seems not all switches support this feature well. Do you know if Netgear unmanaged switches work OK for the ethernet backhaul? I have a couple of those. If not, I may buy a TP-Link switch, too.

Based on where my cable runs are, I could use either the second or third examples below.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-23 19:02:06

@S_Zephyr 

Yes, you understand this correctly and that's what I've meant mentioning Deco system.

If you want a seamless roaming that's the way you should go.

I don't have direct impression if a Netgear switch will work (I've seen some issues mentioned with a D-Link switches), but that's not a problem, because you can always buy a TP-Link one if needed.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-08-23 19:54:36

@terziyski 

Excellent - thanks very much for your help with this!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 767

Replies: 4

Related Articles