OC200 Cloud connection keeps disappearing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-24 07:46:37 - last edited 2021-08-24 09:59:35
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.0 Build 20210406 Rel.58757

Morning all,

I know this question has been asked a million times before, but I've checked and re-checked everything and still the little sucker keeps doing it.

I have an OC200 (v4.3.5) that's currently only got 1 EAP-225 being managed by it, it's a test deployment on a campsite.

The difference here (or maybe not) is that the internet connection is provided by a 5G Mobile CPE (only 4G coverage right now), we've got good signal strength and average around 8-10Mbs download.

I've checked cabling, replaced the PSU for a TP Link 15W PoE Injector, replaced cabling, made sure it's got a connection, but it still keeps disconnecting from the cloud.

It is on a NAT address behind the 5G CPE, the EAP is plugged into the pass-through Ethernet port on the OC200 (Don't know if this could cause an issue or not)

The OC200 still continues to function fine even when it says it's offline from the cloud, so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue.  Last night I received over 70 notifications randomly saying it was offline and then online, no specific pattern, usually it's back connected within a couple of minutes.

Guests are not experiencing any drop out of service, so that proves the internet connection is stable.

I'm open to any ideas that anyone may have, while I know it's not disrupting service, the constant alerts are getting annoying and does mean that I may not be able to remotely connect to manage it.

Ironically, during testing here with a fixed connection, it performed flawlessly, so it somewhat does point to the nature of the connection, but evidence suggests otherwise.

If anyone has any ideas on what I can try next, I'd appreciate it.

Best Regards

Chris

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OC200 Cloud connection keeps disappearing-Solution
2021-08-24 09:03:59 - last edited 2021-08-24 09:59:35

@Lasermatrix 

My guess is that the 4G mobile hasn't enough capacity, that would be expected with 8-10mbps

Basically the dongle is working fine as one would expect, however given its only 8-10mbps then the usage is likely to be high at any time and therefore packets are going to be dropped / retried on the WAN. 

Normal users wont experience any issues and it will simply retry them, it will just appear a bit slower, however the heartbeat from the controller is a UDP packet and therefore wont retry.. it will be dropped and therefore report a loss on connection, once traffic drops a bit its OK again... rinse and repeat

Im guessing the wired connection has a considerably faster connection?

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:OC200 Cloud connection keeps disappearing-Solution
2021-08-24 09:03:59 - last edited 2021-08-24 09:59:35

@Lasermatrix 

My guess is that the 4G mobile hasn't enough capacity, that would be expected with 8-10mbps

Basically the dongle is working fine as one would expect, however given its only 8-10mbps then the usage is likely to be high at any time and therefore packets are going to be dropped / retried on the WAN. 

Normal users wont experience any issues and it will simply retry them, it will just appear a bit slower, however the heartbeat from the controller is a UDP packet and therefore wont retry.. it will be dropped and therefore report a loss on connection, once traffic drops a bit its OK again... rinse and repeat

Im guessing the wired connection has a considerably faster connection?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:OC200 Cloud connection keeps disappearing
2021-08-24 09:59:20

@Philbert 

Thanks Philbert, yes, the wired connection here was 10x faster.  Unfortunate that it's a UDP packet, I would have hoped there might be a little more in the way of checks, max retries etc before it decided it was offline :)

I guess I'll have to live with it and disable the alerts until such time as we can provide it with a bigger pipe :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 648

Replies: 2