Setup MGMT VLAN, now I can't get to it from another switch? (SOLVED)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-25 14:44:00 - last edited 2021-09-03 17:07:01
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

(SOLVED) - my PC was straddling two networks, default gateway on two networks, couldn't figure out where to go to different MGMT network.

I setup a Management VLAN and it appears to be working great - however it doesn't appear to cross switches? I have a 2210MP where my OC200 and my wireless access points are all connected - I can access my OC200 from any device connected to a WAP that is connected to it, but when I try to access it from a device that is plugged into the SG3428 (which is connected to the 2210MP via SFP ports and setup with LACP) - it will not let me connect to the OC200. Everything else seems to be working fine; I checked the port profile for the LAG on both switches, and they are both set to "all" which I double checked and shows all LAN's.

Note, I have a separate VLAN/interface for my user traffic that my main computer (where I can't access the OC200 from) is connected to (through the 3428.) Wireless and wired clients that feed directly into the 2210MP can access it just fine, and they are on that same user VLAN/interface. It's as if the mgmt VLAN is not trunking across that LACP ethernet pair? The port profile for the LACP is set to "all" - I checked that profile and it shows that all traffic should be going across it.

Diagram below for clarification..

Options
5 Reply
Re:Setup MGMT VLAN, now I can't get to it from another switch?
2021-08-26 09:34:54 - last edited 2021-08-26 09:35:13

If you have different VLAN interfaces, did you set switch ACL to block different VLANs? If no, different VLANs should be able to access each other by default.

And what's the management VLAN for? OC200? What's your final purpose?

Options
2021-08-26 15:18:41

@Somnus I setup a few ACL's but not for the user LAN to the managment LAN. I have a few other VLAN's that I did setup ACL's on though.

Again, what's odd is if I plug the very same machine into the 2210MP and assign the physical port to the same VLAN, I can get to the OC200 just fine. If I plug it into the 3428 and assign it to the exact same VLAN - I cannot get to the OC200. It has to be something with the link between the 2210MP and the 3428.

I have the 2210MP and 3428 linked via SFP>ethernet (physically) and running LACP to give it a full 2gb link. Port profile for the LACP link is "all" and I double checked the port profile to make sure it has all VLAN's in it. 

Options
2021-08-27 08:40:51

Dear @Ken73,

Ken73 wrote

@Somnus I setup a few ACL's but not for the user LAN to the managment LAN. I have a few other VLAN's that I did setup ACL's on though.

Again, what's odd is if I plug the very same machine into the 2210MP and assign the physical port to the same VLAN, I can get to the OC200 just fine. If I plug it into the 3428 and assign it to the exact same VLAN - I cannot get to the OC200. It has to be something with the link between the 2210MP and the 3428.

I have the 2210MP and 3428 linked via SFP>ethernet (physically) and running LACP to give it a full 2gb link. Port profile for the LACP link is "all" and I double checked the port profile to make sure it has all VLAN's in it. 

For your case, I'd like to escalate to the TP-Link support team who could help you more efficiently.

They will reach you via your registered email address shortly, please pay attention to your email box later.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, I'd encourage you to share it with the community.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-08-28 15:18:30

@Fae Thanks Fae! I sent in my configuration file last night, hopefully it's just something simple I'm not seeing in my config that's easily fixed. 

Options
2021-09-02 16:36:47

UPDATE:

A bit embarassing, but it turns out this was my own doing. I connected my QNAP NAS, even with trunking (LACP) enabled on the NAS I was able to pull up a browser from it, here I was able to hit the OC200 just fine - all from the 3428. What I forgot was that my PC was "straddling" two networks - my original one, and the new TP-Link based one. Once I disconnected the other network and rebooted, it's working just fine. I think the old network my PC was still connected to had a default gateway that was trying to get to to the OC200 and that's what caused me so much misery. 

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1072

Replies: 5