What would you recommend for the main controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-30 03:29:08
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I will have a setup where there are 2 sites. These sites are 20 miles apart.  Both are at a different location than where my home base is.  Since this is the first time setting up this setup, I'm needing a little advice. 

I have the one site pretty much programmed, and ready to go.  I have tested and it all seems to be working great.  I have the OC200 named for this site, a TL-R605 router, and a TL-SG2210MP at this site.

I am ready to start at the other site.  It will have the same setup, other than the switch will be the TL-SG3428MP switch.

When I do the other switch, I'm sure I will figure things out, but I want to be semi ready when things start going into place.  Is there a place that shows how to start with the 2nd controller, and what you actually do? 

My other question is about the controller itself.  Will I be fine running just the cloud software, or would I be better off just getting a 3rd controller at my site to make it even easier. 

I like this well enough that I will probably at some point soon have an OC200 and setup at my place also. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Options
7 Reply
Re:What would you recommend for the main controller?
2021-08-30 10:01:22

@ingeborgdot 

Hey buddy,

Actually, one OC200 is enough. Omada controller supports manage devices at different sites. See this article:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3087/

Options
2021-08-30 12:48:24

@Somnus I never knew that.  Thanks. 

Well, when I first started this plan, I was told that 2 controllers would be what I needed.  Will having 2 make the setup easier between the 2 sites? 

I'll have to do some more searching to find out about when you have 2 controllers, because that is what I have. 

Options
2021-08-30 12:53:27

@ingeborgdot 

My opinion on this is just add an additional OC200 at each site and control them all via the cloud portal, they are cheap enough devices.    In smaller businesses its not always practical to have WAN Links / VPNs between the sites to share one OC200 centrally, therefore just sharing a cloud account is the better option.

Tried having one main branch with an OC200, and smaller sub branches VPNed off that.  While it worked, it was more admin overhead than it was worth.   However if the branches already have the links in place, then crack on

That just my thinking :)

Options
2021-08-30 13:15:22

@Philbert So, having an OC200 at each site will make it easier to control without doing all the other overhead, right? 

Can you point me in the right direction of some video or article that will help me with that scenario of having 2 OC200?  I will figure it out I'm sure, but I would rather see what others have done to make this as painless as possible. 

Do you hire out for a little extra guidance? smiley lol

Options
2021-08-30 15:57:08

@ingeborgdot 

Hey

Sadly I dont know of any video that has this for you, however yes what you are saying correct

Say the company you have is called  ABC123   and they have 3 sites, London, Paris and New York each with 5 APs

You could have all the sites controlled centrally by London (where the OC200) is located, and the other sites are VPN (site to site) which will allow the controller to talk to the other AP.   Advantage of that is just one controller and that one controller can have London_Site   Paris_Site etc.    The problem with this is most business, if they have 2 or 3 offices are not interested in VPNs between them, they have no need for it and its an extra admin burden when it doesnt work and the other sites lose connection.

Personally, i think that is overkill for most small businesses.   I install a OC200 at each site  (London_OC200   Paris_OC200 etc) and have them all cloud enabled to one TP Link account for that business  (SiteAdmin@ABC123.net)  that way when I access that clients Cloud account i can see the 3x controllers and admin them from my house using the browser.   Also means they can have different hardware, IP ranges, ACLs etc so versioning doesnt have to be such an issue. 

I have one client has 2x branches (neighbouring towns) on 2x seperate controllers, one is SDNv3  (old APs) other is SDNv4 (newer), you couldn't do that with a single OC200

Options
2021-08-30 17:13:42

@Philbert It sounds like what I'm in the process of doing is the best route for me.  It seems that having an OC200 at each site makes it easer for control.  I guess I'll find out about all that as I get into the rest of the process.  It should be interesting. 

I'm kind of excited to see where this takes it all.  I like learning new things like this.  It gives me a chance to play some, and experience new things.  Thanks for your insight into all of this.

Options
2021-08-31 09:16:54

@ingeborgdot 

No problem at all, you are most welcome!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 568

Replies: 7