Troubleshooting link uptime

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-03 06:40:15
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 4.4.4

Just migrated from a standalone mode to a omada controlled for my TL-R605 router, before I'm able to do traceroute and ping and selecting from which interface its going out, can I do it on Omada? I'm troubleshooting one of my wan links on the router, did a speed test and it's not getting any readings. Just want to make sure it's up or down. 

Options
9 Reply
Re:Troubleshooting link uptime
2021-09-03 10:23:58

@desperado 

The only way I could do it was to create an IP Group Profile for a specific computer that I want test with and then set up a Policy Routing to force it out on the specific Wan. 

Options
2021-09-03 10:30:24
Yeah.. I made a static route just to ping that particular gateway. Was looking for another way just like the standalone diagnostics.
Options
2021-09-03 10:34:00

@desperado Yes, the RT480 had the built in test tools which made testing very easy.

Options
2021-09-06 03:01:22

@desperado 

Hey,

On controller, you can check the WAN status under Details. See this image.

If you want to specify some devices to a specific WAN interface, you should configure policy routing.

Hope it helps!

Options
2021-09-08 00:23:24

@Somnus 

True, but still, there are times it reports that it is up, but when you do a speedtest, latency and throughput is 0. Need to be able to check where the problem is. Also, is there a way to modify how it tests the link status? How does it determine the status of that particular link? 

On a standalone version, we can specify the link test for it to do a failover, let's say ping a public DNS or ping a particular website from that interface for it to check that the link is really functioning. 

Options
2021-09-08 08:42:47

@desperado 

Did you configure link backup feature? The word "failover", as I know, is a mode of link backup. If so, the backup WAN will show online, but it won't transfer any traffic. You cannot configure policy routing and link backup at the same time. They are two conflicting features. Policy routing requires both WAN activated, while link backup will only have primary WAN or backup WAN activated.

Both on controller and in standalone, the router determines the status WAN via online detection, as you said, ping a public DNS or ping a particular website from that interface for it to check that the link is really functioning.

Options
2021-09-09 12:36:32

@Somnus 

I've configured my link as failover, in a stand alone mode, when you do a speed test, it would check the speed of both links even if its on a failover. What happened during that time was I'm not getting any readings on my backup wan but omada reports the link as online which is the reason why I wanted to do further investigation why I'm not getting  latency and speed readings on the backup wan. 

on a standalone mode, you do have the capability to do traceroutes and pings from the interface that you want as well as customize the wan link test. 

From what I'm seeing, troubleshooting on an omada controlled router is really limited.

Options
2021-09-12 03:46:07

@desperado 

Did you get any readings on the backup WAN before you have this issue? I have some different opinions with you.

From my point of view, failover means primary WAN is linked up, and backup WAN is down in daily use. Only when the primary WAN is down by accident, will the backup WAN be activated and traffic will go to backup WAN till the primary WAN recovers. In this case, if primary WAN works fine, traffic won't go to backup WAN, so it's normal there won't be any readings when you do the speedtest on backup WAN.

On TL-R600VPN and some old models, Status page will show primary WAN as link up and backup WAN as link down, so we can simply judge is the failover mode takes effect or not via the status. However, on omada gateway, like ER605 and ER7206, both WAN's will show link up even if the failover mode works. I have to go to online detection to check the status of backup WAN, or do traceroutes to confirm if my failover is working or not.

In controller mode, you can still do traceroutes and pings from the interface without problem. Have you tried these methods?

The only downside, as I think, is why the router shows both WAN connections as link up even if my failover works fine, which sometimes really makes me confused. Hope TP-Link can change the mechanism back to the same as that of those old models.

Options
2021-09-14 09:27:19

@Somnus 

Hi Sommus

"

From my point of view, failover means primary WAN is linked up, and backup WAN is down in daily use. Only when the primary WAN is down by accident, will the backup WAN be activated and traffic will go to backup WAN till the primary WAN recovers. In this case, if primary WAN works fine, traffic won't go to backup WAN, so it's normal there won't be any readings when you do the speedtest on backup WAN."

I've configured my links as failovers and I do get speed test results from both of the interfaces, see screenshots of the stats

I find this useful as this gives me the assurance that both of my links are up and running, 

Here's my WAN config

In controller mode, you can still do traceroutes and pings from the interface without problem. Have you tried these methods?

-  This is what I'm looking for, I can't find the traceroutes or pings on an Omada controlled router. This is available on the TL-R600VPN stand alone mode configuration. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 983

Replies: 9

Related Articles