Internet dropping out

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Internet dropping out

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Internet dropping out
Internet dropping out
2021-09-10 09:52:08 - last edited 2022-05-03 12:11:49
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

I recently installed Deco E4 3 pack to improve wifi coverage in my house. Works great except in one location despite having strong wi-fi I get periodic internet drop out on my laptop and/or low bandwidth usually during video calls. No other devices appear to have this problem. Suggestions?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Internet dropping out-Solution
2021-09-10 19:35:11 - last edited 2022-05-03 12:11:49

@kibbs 

Yes, you need to move Satellite Deco closer to Main Deco. The sweet spot is where signal from Main Deco to Satellite Deco is good and signal from Satellite Deco to laptop is good. 

Find location approximately in the middle between laptop and Main Deco, and place Satellite Deco there. You may need to try multiple places until you find a good one. 

One of the options to try is place Satellite Deco just above Main Deco. That should ensure good connection between them. If with that setup signal to laptop is not good, move Satellite Deco one electric outlet closer to laptop, and check signal again for all of them. Repeat again till you find the right spot for Satellite Deco. 

When WiFi signal between laptop and Satellite Deco is good, and signal between that Satellite Deco and Main Deco is good, it should solve internet drops and low bandwidth issues on laptop.

In case it does not, then another test will be necessary, using Ethernet port on laptop. Bring laptop to where Satellite Deco is, connect both by Ethernet cable, confirm that laptop is using Ethernet for Internet connection, and see if connectivity issues for laptop are resolved. If they are, that would mean possible problem with laptop WiFi network card.

This test should be done only when Satellite Deco is placed where it has good WiFi signal to Main Deco and if laptop still has issues.

One last thing: to ensure laptop is connected to the right Satellite Deco, power off downstairs Satellite Deco while you are finding good location for Satellite Deco upstairs, and reboot laptop every time you move and power on upstairs Satellite Deco.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Internet dropping out
2021-09-10 15:39:26 - last edited 2021-09-10 15:42:43

@kibbs 

1. Do you use laptop integrated WiFi network card, or USB dongle?

2. Does your laptop have Ethernet port?

3. In that location, how far is laptop from Satellite Deco and how far is Satellite Deco from Main Deco it is connected to?

4. When you check Signal Source for that Satellite Deco in Deco app, what signal quality do you see it reports? Example of adequate signal quality between Satellite Deco and Main Deco named "Living Room":

Options
Re:Internet dropping out
2021-09-10 16:24:14

@Alexandre.

1. using integrated wi-fi but just in case I have also tried a Wi-Fi usb. But in either case Wi-Fi signal has remained strong and apparently stable.

2. Yes I have an Ethernet port and if need be I could try relocating a satellite deco but don't understand why this is happening when all other devices appear to have no problems eg. phone, ipad co-located with the laptop

3. laptop is approx. 3m away from the the satellite deco next door. Master deco is downstairs and approx. 10m from satellite deco. The 2nd satellite is also downstairs and a similar distance.

4. This may be the problem as its showing a single bar ie low level. I have the same reading for the 2nd satellite located downstairs.

Options
Re:Internet dropping out-Solution
2021-09-10 19:35:11 - last edited 2022-05-03 12:11:49

@kibbs 

Yes, you need to move Satellite Deco closer to Main Deco. The sweet spot is where signal from Main Deco to Satellite Deco is good and signal from Satellite Deco to laptop is good. 

Find location approximately in the middle between laptop and Main Deco, and place Satellite Deco there. You may need to try multiple places until you find a good one. 

One of the options to try is place Satellite Deco just above Main Deco. That should ensure good connection between them. If with that setup signal to laptop is not good, move Satellite Deco one electric outlet closer to laptop, and check signal again for all of them. Repeat again till you find the right spot for Satellite Deco. 

When WiFi signal between laptop and Satellite Deco is good, and signal between that Satellite Deco and Main Deco is good, it should solve internet drops and low bandwidth issues on laptop.

In case it does not, then another test will be necessary, using Ethernet port on laptop. Bring laptop to where Satellite Deco is, connect both by Ethernet cable, confirm that laptop is using Ethernet for Internet connection, and see if connectivity issues for laptop are resolved. If they are, that would mean possible problem with laptop WiFi network card.

This test should be done only when Satellite Deco is placed where it has good WiFi signal to Main Deco and if laptop still has issues.

One last thing: to ensure laptop is connected to the right Satellite Deco, power off downstairs Satellite Deco while you are finding good location for Satellite Deco upstairs, and reboot laptop every time you move and power on upstairs Satellite Deco.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 470

Replies: 3

Related Articles