Replacing the EAP110-Outdoor Antenna with the TL-WR841HP Antenna

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-14 08:55:06 - last edited 2021-09-16 09:50:31
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:
I have a TL-WR841HP router that I don't use anymore. I also have an EAP110-Outdoor access point that I use indoor with a built-in 2×3 dBi External Omni waterproof. Can I replace the access point's antenna with my TL-WR841HP (2× Detachable 9 dBi High-Gain) antenna? With the expectation that it will improve transmission power to strengthen signal coverage.
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Replacing the EAP110-Outdoor Antenna with the TL-WR841HP Antenna-Solution
2021-09-14 12:25:49 - last edited 2021-09-16 09:50:31

@martinanugrah 

In theory there is nothing stopping you doing this, and yes it will work ok..

However don't fall into the trap of thinking .. Bigger Aerial with Higher DB is better... a bigger antenna does not necessarily make it better!

As you increase the DBi of the antenna you do increase the max range, however you also decrease the height of the signal and the effectiveness at short range.   Its really a balancing act!   For example upgrading to a larger antenna on your home router may increase the signal 3 rooms away, but have a decrease 1 room away. 

If you want range then yes 9DB antenna is about as big as I would recommend going, however it will affect your short range signal so bear that in mind.  The diagram below might illustrate this

Imagine you are located at the Yellow line (say 15meters).  The signal would be best with a 5db, OK with a 7db and least with a 9db.     At 50Meters that may be the other way round!

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Replacing the EAP110-Outdoor Antenna with the TL-WR841HP Antenna-Solution
2021-09-14 12:25:49 - last edited 2021-09-16 09:50:31

@martinanugrah 

In theory there is nothing stopping you doing this, and yes it will work ok..

However don't fall into the trap of thinking .. Bigger Aerial with Higher DB is better... a bigger antenna does not necessarily make it better!

As you increase the DBi of the antenna you do increase the max range, however you also decrease the height of the signal and the effectiveness at short range.   Its really a balancing act!   For example upgrading to a larger antenna on your home router may increase the signal 3 rooms away, but have a decrease 1 room away. 

If you want range then yes 9DB antenna is about as big as I would recommend going, however it will affect your short range signal so bear that in mind.  The diagram below might illustrate this

Imagine you are located at the Yellow line (say 15meters).  The signal would be best with a 5db, OK with a 7db and least with a 9db.     At 50Meters that may be the other way round!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1345

Replies: 1