Setup of the WiFi system with EAP225s?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-16 12:28:31 - last edited 2021-09-18 12:01:08

My entire system is Omada.  I have the ER605 Router, the TL-SG3428MP switch, a TL-SG2008p switch in another building,  and the OC200 controller. 

The building is 8000 sq ft, but most of that is one large open area.  I will have 1 EAP225 in the enclosed office area, and possibly several out in the large open area which consists of just a big massive space of about 6500 sq ft of wide open are with really no obstacles.  I don't know if I'll need more than 1 EAP225 in here or not. I will also employ a EAP225 outdoor on the outside of the building as well. This building has the 3428MP switch in it, along with the router, and controller.

In another building about 1200 ft away, I have the 2008MP switch which will hook up to another EAP225, and possibly an outdoor 225 too, but I'm not sure on that.

Since all will be hooked up to switches and on the same system, what is the best way to set them up?
Mesh? Fast roaming?

Any advice will be welcome.  Thanks.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Setup of the WiFi system with EAP225s?-Solution
2021-09-17 07:24:56 - last edited 2021-09-18 12:01:26

@ingeborgdot 

I have a customer that is quite similar to what you have described, basically two 'offices' at either ends of a yard and space in between

Personally I went for 1 VLAN for the separate offices combined and the APs on their own VLAN.   Technically the idea was that someone could walk on their phone using  teams or skype/zoom whatever between out of one office, across the yard and into the other office without issue.   Not sure if they actually do that to be honest, but its there and just makes sense.

Offices have EAP225s    Yard i went with 225 Outdoors as these, while under cover will be exposed to colder possibly windy / moisture and felt it was a better solution

Fast Roaming, Dual Band 11k and Band Steering enabled and all APs cabled in

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-18 09:33:19 - last edited 2021-09-18 12:01:08

@ingeborgdot 

You wont need to configure anything on the other APs

If you have the OC200 controller, which you said you did then configure the Wireless SSIDs and Passwords on there and get that setup.  Then once ready plug in (cable in) and adopt the APs from the controller.   They will then pull down the WiFI settings you configured in the first place.  As long as Fast Roaming is enabled you should be good, however would also recommend enabling AI Roaming, Band Steering and Dual 11k Report.. they are all beside eachother

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
2021-09-17 07:24:56 - last edited 2021-09-18 12:01:26

@ingeborgdot 

I have a customer that is quite similar to what you have described, basically two 'offices' at either ends of a yard and space in between

Personally I went for 1 VLAN for the separate offices combined and the APs on their own VLAN.   Technically the idea was that someone could walk on their phone using  teams or skype/zoom whatever between out of one office, across the yard and into the other office without issue.   Not sure if they actually do that to be honest, but its there and just makes sense.

Offices have EAP225s    Yard i went with 225 Outdoors as these, while under cover will be exposed to colder possibly windy / moisture and felt it was a better solution

Fast Roaming, Dual Band 11k and Band Steering enabled and all APs cabled in

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Setup of the WiFi system with EAP225s?
2021-09-17 13:19:50 - last edited 2021-09-18 12:01:22

@Philbert Thanks for your response. 

So, what you are saying, is that if all of these are running back to switches (is this what you mean by cabled in), fast roaming is the best option for this? 

Do I need to put the APs on their own VLAN?  I am not a network expert, but I'm getting better.  What would the purpose serve?

Thanks again.

Options
2021-09-17 22:59:06

@ingeborgdot 

If it is easier for you then just have everything (including the APs) on one VLAN, you don't specifically need to have separate VLANs for this if honest.  Its just me being overly zealous about VLans :)

In terms of cabling, yes if everything is being cabled back to the main switch I would enable fast roaming, AI Roaming and band steering.   That will allow all the APs to work as one larger network and devices can move around together, sounds like the best option for you

Options
2021-09-18 02:37:06 - last edited 2021-09-18 02:38:32

@Philbert Thanks again.  I have not setup the other APs yet.  I have one setup in the office, but the others will be in a couple weeks, when time permits.  When I do this, I will give the other APs the same SSID, right. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I'm ready for it, but thought I might ask first. 

Have a great day.

Options
2021-09-18 09:33:19 - last edited 2021-09-18 12:01:08

@ingeborgdot 

You wont need to configure anything on the other APs

If you have the OC200 controller, which you said you did then configure the Wireless SSIDs and Passwords on there and get that setup.  Then once ready plug in (cable in) and adopt the APs from the controller.   They will then pull down the WiFI settings you configured in the first place.  As long as Fast Roaming is enabled you should be good, however would also recommend enabling AI Roaming, Band Steering and Dual 11k Report.. they are all beside eachother

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-18 12:00:37

@Philbert Great to know.  Thanks again for your insight into this.  It is sure nice to have such wonderful people on here that are so willing to help and teach.  You are very kind to take the time to answer.  Have a great day.

Options
2021-09-20 13:38:14
I do have a question about the check mark box for mesh. Do I need to keep that checked? I unchecked it since I wasn't doing a mesh setup. Thanks.
Options
2021-09-20 13:49:29

@ingeborgdot 

You can un-check the mesh box..

You only need this check this if you want the controller to adopt / manage "Mesh" (wireless) APs.   As you have them cabled in there is no need for this

Options
2021-09-20 13:55:02
That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 778

Replies: 9

Related Articles